Valued Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

Credit Karma is legit, but I found my score to be different depending on who is checking. DH and I took out a small loan at the bank, and they used a different site and both our scores were higher than CK. We decided to check on a new car, and they used another different site, and again the scores were different.

To be sure what's going on we check every site to see how many points the discrepancy is. The bank told us that they don't use the same criteria as the car dealerships or credit card companies, etc. As long as we stay in the excellent range, that's okay.

tea

There are several different models that creditors use to detaimine your credit.. There is your FICO score, Vnatage Score, and some just go by ONE agencies score.  Credit karma shows you your score from 2 of the three agencies.  Also, when places report, some only report to one agencies, some two, some all three,  that is why the difference in your scores.

Respected Contributor

I used it and it's nice to know someone thinks I am near perfect! Cat LOL

Thanks for the responses.

Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote:

I've read several reviews on financial websites and in various magazines about Credit Karma and everyone has said they are legit. There is no way around giving out your social to get  your FICO score.

Many other sites are just guesstimating what your score would be and are not accurate.

CK doesn't ask you to put in any bank account number or credit card info. so it's not a site where you are signing up for a free trial and they charge you a monthly fee if you don't cancel.

Some are predicting this site won't last long since they can't be making enough money to provide this service. 

Just be careful you are going to the real Credit Karma site as there are others out there like Kredit Karma, Credit Carma, etc. 

(bolded by me)  WOW!  There's the tip of the day.  I hope everybody reads this!!

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I'm assuming they ask for your ss# and not sure I want to give that info out.

Has anyone used them?

They do and I did not go further as I don't give my SS# freely 

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I'm assuming they ask for your ss# and not sure I want to give that info out.

Has anyone used them?

They do and I did not go further as I don't give my SS# freely 

I don't either but it's true they only ask for your last 4 numbers and the results do come from 2 of the major credit bureau companies.