Respected Contributor

Re: Is “Black Friday” Not What lt Used To Be?

Other than writing some checks to include with a few gifts, and buying a bunch of scratch-off lottery tickets for the big  party with sibs and their families, I am all done with my shopping.  I wrapped everything one day last week.  

A good feeling!

Honored Contributor

I never venture out on Black Friday...the day after Thanksgiving...due to the insane crowds and traffic....makes no sense to go out when you can get the same things, same prices, and get them before Friday....online. I prefer shopping in my jammies, but I saw on the news last year that crowds were smaller due to online shopping....
Respected Contributor

Stopped Black Friday shopping a few years ago.  Then, about 2 years ago I decided to go (but in the middle of the day not at the ridiculously early times some stores begin)  - and there was not a lot out shopping and OMG I even found a close space to park!  

I assumed that it's bc many buy online these days which is what I do.  

Respected Contributor

The electronic items I snagged last week at Black Friday prices have already gone back up to regular price !

Honored Contributor

There was a time when I looked forward to it and loved the anticipation leading up to it. Some locals stores offered gift bags to the first x number of shoppers. A few offered hot coffee or chocolate, doughnuts, etc to entice us into the store. I would sometimes adjust my work schedule around it. The sales were phenomenal, especially if you caught the early bird specials. It was an actual EVENT, that has lost it's WOW for me now, because it has become just another marketing term for "sale". I still take advantage of some of the early 'discounted' prices, but accept that most of the prices are not that exceptional, because the original price is inflated, and that many of the prices will be similar to the clearance price of that item.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

The greed of corporate retailers ruined it. Everything is "Black Friday" now. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always avoided traffic and the stores on black Friday.

But now that I can do my shopping online, and don't have to make a decision without comparing & thinking it over, I'm buying non-stop.

Started my black Friday spending in October and will stop end of November.

So my end of year spending is waaay up!

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

The greed of corporate retailers ruined it. Everything is "Black Friday" now. 

Such a paradox that whatever "ruined it" for you is what made me finally want to participate and spend at this time of year.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  To me, Black Friday has always been hated because I worked retail to support myself while in college. There was never anything fun or enjoyable about it. In fact, it was pathetic to watch people fight and push their way over items that few truly needed. I remember how security would watch the people on the cameras and make bets about who would win the battle. Same thing with the after Christmas Sale; nothing good to say about it. But that's MY personal take on it. The OP asked something else (IMO).

When retailers started having the "after Xmas sale prices but in October" that's when you knew the whole "special" aspect of sales were gone. That greed shot the retailers in the foot; no one is going to pay full price knowing you'll put it on sale every weekend or offer a coupon. Yes, it's good for consumers but that isn't how I took the question. Black Friday isn't what it once was because what made it "special" no longer exists. It isn't once a year; it's every weekend now.

Honored Contributor

I think todays retailers killed Black Friday.......

I was never a Black Friday Shopper.....my friends and I took a trip to a small town for an Old Fashion Dickens Christmas in their historic district ....there were carolers, an arts and craft show, lighting of the Christmas tree.... much more fun than than crowds and traffic jams.....

I need to buy a couple of gift cards and some Lotto Scratch Offs and Im done....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”