Esteemed Contributor

Is there anything, anything at all, that you would say is unforgivable?

Abuse of children, elderly, animals?

Or, could you forgive anyone, for anything, no matter how heinous?

For me, it's betrayal of family.

That, to me, is unforgivable.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anything "Unforgivable"?

Wearing white after Labor Day.

Honored Contributor

I don't know. God forgives unconditionally. I don't know about humans. I haven't dealt with anyone that is so horrendous that i couldn't forgive them. I am not saying I like them or they are my friends. I just don't allow them to have power over my emotions

I guess I am trying to say let go. Forgiveness is a gift we give to ourselves. It is so hard to hang on to anger and hatred . It  is so corrosive..If you can pray, ask for peace..I just don't engage with people like that, but neither do I wish them ill, or ruminate about what they have done..Let it go if you can,and move on, for your own peace of mind

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Murder(first degree), attempted murder, genocide, forcible rape, most torture, most abductions, crimes against humanity, including war crimes such as the use of weapons like nerve gas, enslavement of people. Reprehensible, heinous crimes...I don’t forgive them and I don’t forget them. 

Respected Contributor

I think everything is forgivable. God forgives all offenses, but that person would have to pay for the act, be remorseful, and you may never trust that person again, 

Respected Contributor

My truth: I don’t know.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   You pretty much summed it up for me, abuse of animals, children or the elderly is unforgivable in my mind.

Of course, I'm not the one that they need to forgive them, they will meet their maker some day.  JMHO.

I could forgive members of my family if I needed to....as long as it didn't include the 3 items mentioned above.  

My motto is "no one can take advantage of you unless you allow it", so if you need to cut toxic people from your life, that may be what it takes sometimes.  I'm lucky though, I have a small family and we all get along wonderfully - although I have cut semi-toxic people (non-family) from my life, it's just not worth it to have to deal with the drama.  And life is too short to waste your time and efforts.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter AMEN to that sister!  I'm washing my white pants this weekend.  And along with some other stuff they are getting packed away.  First load of the season going to the upstairs closet.

It seems like I just got them out.  So the darker colored capirs get worn more until the ankle pants come, then the chinos.  It is an annual progression.

Honored Contributor

We can answer the question only after personally facing such a decision. The rest is just opining in the abstract.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

As @cherry  said, God forgives all. To not forgive means we judge more harshly than He.

Forgiveness means letting go. It doesn't mean reconcilliation or a free pass that something didn't happen.

DS recently found a former childhood friend of his landed in prison. They played together at my home and kept in touch until HS.

This child has no one left in his life. He can get two boxes of food or subdries per year. I send those as an act of love and kindness.