Honored Contributor

Is Anyone Here Part Sardinian?

I recently found out I am part Sardinian, a small part, granted.  Sardinia is a fairly large island to the west of Italy.  Italian influence, but they have their own language, are autonomous from Italy and have their own gene.  Whaaaaat?

They were the first to be discovered as a Blue Zone, there are five in the world, I believe.  That means A LOT of them live to be 100 years old or longer.

I'm finding this fascinating, so I wondered if anyone else here shares that gene or culture.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Here Part Sardinian?

I'm not Sardinian, Noel, but your question reminded me of wonderful book I read during my college years, Sea and Sardinia by D. H. Lawrence. 

From Wiki:

Sea and Sardinia is a travel book by the English writer D. H. Lawrence. It describes a brief excursion undertaken in January 1921 by Lawrence and Frieda, his wife a.k.a. Queen Bee, from Taormina in Sicily to the interior of Sardinia. They visited CagliariMandasSorgono, and Nuoro. His visit to Nuoro was a kind of homage to Grazia Deledda but involved no personal encounter. Despite the brevity of his visit, Lawrence distils an essence of the island and its people that is still recognisable today. Extracts were originally printed in The Dial during October and November 1921 and the book was first published in New York, USA in 1921 by Thomas Seltzer, with illustrations by Jan Juta. A British edition, published by Martin Secker, came out in April 1923.

You might want to read it.  I might again as I don't remember much other than my having enjoyed it very much.  But I was in love with the work of D. H. Lawrence during that period of my life.

Honored Contributor

@golding76

Thank you so much, I hadn't heard of Sea and Sardinia, I'll order it from Amazon.

I've seen photos of the island that are just incredible, amazing caves with natural light they swim in, and crystal clear natural pools within rock formations.

It's really a beautiful place.

Respected Contributor

While in the Navy my brother was stationed in Sardinia for 2 years. That was a tough duty station LOL. 

Honored Contributor

Do sardines come from there ?

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

While in the Navy my brother was stationed in Sardinia for 2 years. That was a tough duty station LOL. 

Hi @conlt

Thank you for your response, it made me LOL, too.  I wouldn't mind being  there for two years Woman Wink  The food is said to be incredible, I bought my daughter a Sardinian cookbook for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Do sardines come from there ?

Hi @SharkE

I read that sardines were named sardines because they were most plentiful around the island of Sardina and they imported them.  Good guess.

Honored Contributor

Husband eats them. I think they look awful and stink to high heaven.

Catfish, for me and salmon

Honored Contributor

Rio Pitrisconi.

Honored Contributor

Inside the Masua cave -Sardinia