Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Getting A Ton of Delivery Failed Notifiations from Your Email...

I got so many of them during this last month.
Respected Contributor

You should check your sent folder to make sure your email hasn't been hacked and isn't sending the emails out. And change your password

Malware attack.

What if you receive a "Mail Delivery Failure" notification for messages you did not send at all? It may well be that you've been under a malware attack: a virus is using your account to send spam emails – and that explains the origin of all the bounces you got.

The actual cause can be either a worm virus (run immediately your anti-virus) or the so-called spoofing: a spammer pretending to be you employing your address name. As it's quite difficult to avoid this kind of problem, you should consider to get an email authentication.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 luvmyteddy said:

Thanks, they are still coming back to me and hopefully will stop soon. I would change my password but I don't have the disk to use to figure it out and I don't have a password on outlook as far as I know. None are going through but there are so many. Would it be okay to delete them or do I need to keep them?

luvmyteddy, It's wise not to open them, but it's okay to delete them. (If they persist, you can use a newer one and get its "full headers" to report the problem to your email provider.)

When something like this starts, it's a good idea to look in the "Sent" folder first. That tells us if any bogus messages actually were sent from our account because every message we send is "copied" to that folder. Usually, they won't be there so we know they originated somewhere else and no one has control of our email account.

Most often, a spambot has harvested enormous lists of email addresses from the internet and they send email out to all of them in hopes someone will click on a link or send a response. Sadly, we have to be skeptical of just about any message we receive.

It's always good to change the password regularly. I'm not sure which mail provider you use (MSN, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. -- whatever is after the "@" sign in your email address), but it's easy to get the step-by-step instructions. In addition, you have the option of using filters or "rules" to block future messages. Also, run careful scans to be sure your computer hasn't been infected by some sort of malware.

hthSmile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Change your email address to something really difficult to hack....make sure oyu have a mix of numbers and letters with both lower case/upper case.

Respected Contributor

I called my cable company and I don't have the password to my outlook, I hired someone to set up my new notebook years ago. I had outlook installed since it didn't come with the package.

My cable company can change the password internally and he said to run a scan everyday until the emails are gone. He said it took a few days to switch internally. I ran a scan last night and nothing showed up as a virus or threat. They have always been very helpful with my email and outlook acct.

Hopefully that will take care of it. I never open the emails, I can see them in the menu to the right of my screen to read.

update: whatever my cable co did it stopped them.

No more reviews from me on any website. These hackers are so good it is scary, they can go through and pull off email names galore.