Super Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Else Glad the Holidays Are Over?

Yup, I am ready to move on to Spring.  This year I downsized from two Christmas trees to one.  I ordered new ornament boxes on line and am dividing up ornaments I no longer care for, those that are excess, and those I want to keep.  Then, I am donating my Christmas tree and ornaments and some decorations to the nursing home my mother and aunt lived in for a short time before they passed away.   I had way too much and am happy the decortions  found a good home.  I am liking my ornament boxes. They are a pricey investment, but I love the organization and space saving.

i am also ready to leave behind my holiday eating.  Too much entertaining, too much going out, too much food quantity in general.  I gained some weight.  We are going on an island vacation March 1st.  There is nothing more motivating to get me to lose weight than knowing I will wear a swim suit in two months!  

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

But I get it, TX is a whole other thing in summer.

...June thru Oct-mid-Nov if you're allergic to heat!

Btw...I love your state...have visited several times...love the people and the vibe.

Thank you!  Texas literally means "friendly" (I think it came from local Indians).  It's also the state motto.  Did you go to Austin?  The state has a "vibe" but more often people refer to Austin as having a vibe or energy mostly due to the outdoor music festivals and young people.

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

I always say, "you can put on enough clothes to get warm but you can't take OFF enough to cool off".

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I'm always glad when things get back to somewhat normal again. I know I put to much pressure on myself to make Christmas nice and fun for the grand kids and my adult kids. So I always feel a relief when things settle down. 

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@amyb 

I always say, "you can put on enough clothes to get warm but you can't take OFF enough to cool off".

Lol..true enough!

But I feel differently here in the NE...I feel I cool off fine in AC in the summer, but in winter I just can't acclimate!! I hate all the bulky clothing...I'm either too hot or too cold, rarely just right! I'm not at all arguing your point, I get how you feel for sure...and 104 in the shade would not be my thing either. Just saying my whole experience with winter's cold is different for me up here.

Your whole weather pattern in TX is different, including your "winters" are more mild than ours by a lot. I'd feel the same as you if I lived there. I sure wouldn't love having to be indoors from June-Oct. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@amyb 

But I get it, TX is a whole other thing in summer.

...June thru Oct-mid-Nov if you're allergic to heat!

Btw...I love your state...have visited several times...love the people and the vibe.

Thank you!  Texas literally means "friendly" (I think it came from local Indians).  It's also the state motto.  Did you go to Austin?  The state has a "vibe" but more often people refer to Austin as having a vibe or energy mostly due to the outdoor music festivals and young people.

Well...now you're gonna get me going, haha.

First time I visited TX I noticed how cute and funny signage is throughout the state and the one I remembered most which sums it up well for me "Texas friendly spoke here!" 

I actually meant "vibe" more like TX's overall friendly energy, ways, culture. But I definitely understand Austin's cool, funky, eclectic, music "vibe" as well. Yes, I've visited and seen music shows there more than once....been to the Capital and the BIG TEXAS museum, which was one of my favorite museums to ever visit. I've also been to "The Broken Spoke" more than once...which we love.

Bf and I love country music and often will travel to see many of the "old country" performers. Have been out to Gail TX too, to "The Coyote Store" to see Gene Watson. We keep our eye out for who's coming there, as we'd like to go back.

Been to Dallas and Houston, but my favorite area of TX is Hill Country. It's beautiful. Stayed in Gruene Texas, at the Gruene Mansion Inn once...planned that particular trip around going to the Gruene dance hall...that was a great triip, and around Christmas time, which is always fun there.

But it was the friendy people that made a lasting impression on me...

Being from "reserved" New England...I never love when people on the street keep their head down and never look up to say hi. I always say, that'd never happen down south or in TX.

Granted we DO have friendly people too...but not that overall vibe.  People in Texas just wave to you out the window of their truck just because they've passed you! Love that.

We hope to visit again soon. We've been trying to find some music act to go see again. 

Respected Contributor

I very much enjoy the Christmas season...now that I don't do any shopping, baking, etc.! But, I'm glad it's over, that my decorations are put away, and the house is back to "normal". I won't put out any seasonal decorations again til October, probably. 

It makes me a little sad to put everything away, but only for about a day.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb  You are correct...Texas Hill Country is beautiful. We live here (NW of Gruene/New Braunfels. However, it is mountain cedar pollen season, so not so much fun right now.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Not yet.  Our family just had our Christmas 2 days ago.

DILove got covid.

Respected Contributor

YES!