Respected Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Else Bothered By Commercials Using Popular Music and Songs?

@Annabellethecat66

Yes, it bothers me too.  Music is such a big part of our lives, too, and always has been.  All those beautiful memories come back when you hear a particular song, where you were, what you were doing.  The repetitive commercials do spoil that for me.  It’s like it interrupts my memory.  Hate that.

Very interesting thread!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

No, some I like a lot.  This is one favorite from Travelers Insurance; Trouble, by Ray LaMontagne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNY82N8sxQA

@Caligurll

Any commercial with a cute animal I dont even notice the song I'm too busy watching that cute furry friend....Cat WinkCat Very HappyCat LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I like it if I like the song but not if it's a song I dislike, then I have to mute.

Honored Contributor

Bothered???  Why should one be bothered???   If you don't like it, don't you have a remote control, LOL!!!Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified Wonderful post.  I've often said that one of the many gifts GOD gave us when he created us was the gift of remembering.

Just sitting (or wherever someone is) hearing a song or music can transport us back into another time and place.  

My dentist teases me because once I told him when he's working on my mouth (sometimes for more than an hour) I go back to the memory of my first dance with my late husband.  I remember the words we spoke, the way he felt (his large hands), his smell, all of it.  Ahhhh!! Those memories...right?

My favorite song was always "Happy Together" by the Turtles.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKK0OjueX4A)

It just makes me happy.  There are so many songs I love.  When my girls were teenagers and after they saw John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever they'd say, "What are you gonna do now Johnny?"  Then they'd say, "I'm gonna strut"!  Ha!  And in their heads (and mine) they'd hear that famous music by the Bee Gees and start disco dancing!  It was so much fun!

Remember those days?

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  That’s so sweet.  Thanks for the memories!

Music can instantly put you in a better mood.  We enjoy it constantly all day.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  I'm always ready to listen to new artists and new music.

Today I was listening to Entertainment Weekly XM radio in my car and a guest speaker was a young lady who introduces listeners to new music.

The young man who recently died is Avicii (pronounced A Vee Chi)....he was amazing!  Here's some of the kind of music he played and others in his genre. Some of it (listening to all of these people just takes you to so many wonderful places in your mind).

Look him up and I think you might recognize (especially the one he's most known for:https://www.amazon.com/Wake-Me-Up/dp/B00F0AIBJC

Respected Contributor

Doesn't bother me a bit.  I never have been swayed by commercials.  It amuses me no end, some of the music pairings going on.  My favourite is still a car commercial from some time ago that had the car in some kid of Rennisance (sp) Faire setting with dancing characters around it and the music was the happy flute bridge of a Jethro Tull song.   Now I love that music but , really,  being serenaded by " Thick as a Brick" isn't going to make me buy that car!  Not if you've ever listened to the words!  If anything it makes me want to dig out the old albums!

Honored Contributor

Not at all.  I have more important things to be bothered about.

Honored Contributor

Sorry @Annabellethecat66, I really hate commercials.  They interrupt the train of thought going on for me while I'm watching a show.  Enter...Netflix.  No more commercials.  

I love music, not snippets.