Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anybody Experiencing Unexpected Delivery Delays from UPS?

I don't know who's fault it is but every time I order something from HSN it takes forever to receive it.  Sometimes it's so long I forget about it.

For that  reason, I don't order nearly as much as I order from QVC.

Have you guys noticed another delivery service.  It's called something like Lazer.  QVC sometimes uses them.  I haven't experienced delays or noticed delays because I don't pay attention to how late something is.

Click on here about their hourly delivery service and Amazon (Lazer).

I actually experienced this same day service.  I ordered something from Amazon in the morning and received it the same day at around 6:00PM that day.  I belong to Amazon Prime and recommend it to everyone.  I think it is awsome!

http://lazer1033.com/news/030030-forget-2-day-shipping-amazon-launches-1-hour-delivery/

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

WHy do people insist on blaming the product vendors (QVC, Amazon) for delivery delays that are out of their hands?  ONce your package is picked up by the shipper it is under the control of the delivery service not the vendor.

@KathyPet - Can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, when I pull up the actual details of the shipping, while I've received a your item shipped e-mail, the detail status shows that the shipper has not even received the item from the vendor yet.  That makes it the Vendors problem, not the shippers.  These vendors claim they don't take their payment till they've shipped, but they haven't honestly shipped yet, they've only printed a label.  I could understand a day or two delay from printing label to actually getting into the hands of the shipper, but 4 days to a week?  Nope, don't buy it.  Also, with Amazon if you're a Primer member and you've purchased a participating item, what they heck good is being guaranteed 2 day shipping when it takes 4 days for it to even enter the shipping process?

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

With all the storms, fires, etc in the US, there are delivery delays.  No one, not Q or any retailer, can guarantee a delivery date when packages have to go through major shipping hubs suffering from bad weather or disasters.

I had 2 items from another retailer take an extra 2 days since they had to go through the SE.

Speaking of which...my annual rant....  Order now if something is needed for Christmas.  People who waits shouldn't complain when their packages don't arrive on time.  It's not like we didn't know when the holidays were coming.

@CalminHeart - That's true, but in many cases the item isn't going anywhere near or through a hub being affected.  In my specific case, my item was shipping from Indiana and I'm in Ohio.

Respected Contributor

Mine is slightly different....the packages (JTV/QVC) get delivered to a post office here in my state that must be the "hub" to sort them out and transfer them to the proper local post offices in the communities.  All my packages have been sitting at this location since 11/30 with no updates...for some unknown reason.  I live in MI and our weather has been wonderful...the route these packages take in fact have no weather issues at all.  Just seems to be the Allen Park post office that isn't turning them over.  Q and JTV did their parts fine.  I don't live by this sort facility so picking up all my items isn't gonna happen....I just hope they turn them over on Monday to my local post office.  I have more things ordered and I sure hope they all don't sit there building up!  Around my parts UPS does a much better job of getting packages delievered on time.

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana I don't think the fact that the "shipper" (as in UPS, USPS, FedEx, various regional shippers) doesn't indicate receipt yet necessarily means the item hasn't been shipped. I think a lot of large companies use either leased or perhaps their own trucks, for the initial portion of the journey, then are turned over to the shippers we're familiar at a hub closer to the destination. For example QVC shows my package as shipped (from the east coast). It then "disappers" for around the time it takes to travel via ground  to one of the UPS hubs on the west coast, where it becomes available to track. Amazon packages seem to follow basically the same process, once they show it as shipped. I agree with you that Amazon doesn't always get things shipped immediately, but even then I normally recewive within 3-4 days from ordering max.               

Trusted Contributor

@Runner26 Over the summer I had only two of three packages due to be delivered UPS show up at the normal delivery time. Early evening the normal driver showed up with the third package...said he knew there was a third package when he dropped the other two off. But he couldn't locate it at the time and figured it would be easier to stop back by. For what it's worth, I'm near the start of the route, thus the truck would have been full in the morning.

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana It's almost impossible to know what hubs a package might travel through. If you live in a different regional hub than where the item is being shipped from, then it will likely go through a larger hub rather than directly to your regional hub. That hub may be in an area experiencing delays (whether weather or staffing or something else).

Honored Contributor

My ebay package finally arrived last night.

But I'm still waiting for an Amazon Prime order.  Both Friday and yesterday it's said "out for delivery", but then late at night the status changes to "carrier delay".  So who knows where it is.

I went out yesterday and morning and bought a back up of the item (it's a gift and a just released video game and I didn't want to run the risk of having to begin the hunt everywhere) just in case it never shows so I'm covered either way, but I think it's weird that it keeps showing out for delivery, but never comes.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana I don't think the fact that the "shipper" (as in UPS, USPS, FedEx, various regional shippers) doesn't indicate receipt yet necessarily means the item hasn't been shipped. I think a lot of large companies use either leased or perhaps their own trucks, for the initial portion of the journey, then are turned over to the shippers we're familiar at a hub closer to the destination. For example QVC shows my package as shipped (from the east coast). It then "disappers" for around the time it takes to travel via ground  to one of the UPS hubs on the west coast, where it becomes available to track. Amazon packages seem to follow basically the same process, once they show it as shipped. I agree with you that Amazon doesn't always get things shipped immediately, but even then I normally recewive within 3-4 days from ordering max.               

@juperier -I understand that, however, 2 - 3 days for it to move from the vendor to the actual shipper when 2 days shipping is guaranteed?  Not acceptable.  I believe in one of my earlier posts I talked about an item I ordered that took a month to get to me.  Kept getting delay notices from the VENDOR, not the shipper.  Every time I tried to cancel that order, I got an email advising they couldn't cancel it.  I ultimately rejected the delivery.    This wasn't a third party selling through Amazon either, it was Amazon itself.  The past 6 months or so, Amazon (at least for me) has been the WORST for poor delivery service of every place I order on-line.

Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana It's almost impossible to know what hubs a package might travel through. If you live in a different regional hub than where the item is being shipped from, then it will likely go through a larger hub rather than directly to your regional hub. That hub may be in an area experiencing delays (whether weather or staffing or something else).

@juperier - Oh for heavens sakes....it doesn't change the FACT that I was promised 2 day service and got 5 for an item to move from one state to the state next to it.  Unless they shipped it from Indiana to Colorado or Tennessee or some other hub totally out of any logic, there were no natural events to cause the delay.  Staffing issues is poor business practice especially at this time of year.