Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anybody Experiencing Unexpected Delivery Delays from UPS?

@geezerette wrote:

It looks to me like the problem is with UPS in Hodgkins Illinois.  Apparently a lot of people are getting delay notices from there, and they're not too happy about it.  It sounds like it's a huge place and the problem could be anything from unusual volume to equipment problems, or anything in between.  This is from Wikipedia:

The Chicago Area Consolidation Hub (CACH) is a package sorting facility for United Parcel Service. the facility is in the village of Hodgkins, Illinois.

This facility serves as a sorting facility for packages travelling in the United States and the world. Construction of the CACH facility began in November 1991 at the site previously occupied by the GM Truck and Bus manufacturing plant. The facility has an area of 48.9 acres (198,000 m2), and has a perimeter of 3.1 miles (5.0 km). It employs over 8,000 people available to work one of the four shifts. Packages are only handled during loading and unloading, all sorting takes place through a system of conveyor belts and push paddles, utilizing high-speed cameras to read the destination from a smart label to sort a package to its trailer.

While CACH does not service package cars, the facility sorts approximately 1.6 million packages per day. During the months of November and December, volume can exceed 3 million packages per day.

UPS's web tracking system used to list the CACH as "CACH, IL." Since there is no city named CACH, this confused customers. As a response, the company now lists the facility as "HODGKINS, IL" or "Hodgkins, IL."

UPS also has a location called "Hodgkins, IN" that is sometimes confused with CACH. It is a place where trailers switch in between singles, doubles, and triples, because the Illinois location doesn't allow some or all trailers and the Indiana location does. The facility is located in Hammond, IN at I-90 (Indiana Toll Road) (Indiana Hwy 5) & Calumet Ave (U. S. Hwy 41) off of the eastbound freeway entrance ramp 41.643958°N 87.509272°W. It is informally called West Point by UPS. There's another UPS truck parking lot south of the nearby Public Storage.[1]

@geezerette thanks for posting this as it is mindboggling how huge that facility is . . . I have driven by it on occasion and it's size is amazing especially at night when it's all lit up.

Honored Contributor

As of now, it looks like I have two orders coming through UPS at Hodgkins IL.  The first arrived there yesterday morning, and an hour later they put the delay message on the tracking.  This morning that order has now departed that facility.

The other order arrived there this morning and as of yet shows no movement, but no delay message either.

Hopefully this means whatever the problem was there that was causing delays is now fixed.  I'll keep an eye on the tracking progress.  

Trusted Contributor

Not at all. I am pleased that my packages have been arriving on time without delays. It's been fine. Last year I had a couple issues, but this year has been smooth. *knock on wood*

Honored Contributor

Amazon has really dropped the ball for me this week. One order had the wrong item, 1 order is considered lost so they refunded, one overnight shipping was late two days and one is late and in limbo. 

It it seems to be a usps problem because it happens after UPS transfers local delivery to them and every time the tracking says out for delivery but doesn't arrive or is late even though it's supposedly "on the truck". 

Honored Contributor

Exactly, @GenXmuse.  Something is going on at my UPS distribution center in Harvey, Illinoi.  So anything that I ordered that any seller sent me through UPS is sitting at the UPS 30 minutes from my house for DAYS!  My QVC package, my Amazon packages,and my Keurig coffee.  Hopefully the problem will be cleared up before my Q item ordered today ships.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Exactly, @GenXmuse.  Something is going on at my UPS distribution center in Harvey, Illinoi.  So anything that I ordered that any seller sent me through UPS is sitting at the UPS 30 minutes from my house for DAYS!  My QVC package, my Amazon packages,and my Keurig coffee.  Hopefully the problem will be cleared up before my Q item ordered today ships.

I've had to call Amazon 4 times this week and I'm starting to feel like I have to babysit my packages.  Hopefully things get back to normal soon 

Honored Contributor

This sounds unusual for Amazon to me, @GenXmuse.  I haven't had any problems with them through the years.  A couple of times an incorrect item was sent and they replaced it without me sending the incorrect item back.  They said just keep it.  Of course, they were t expensive items.  Once I ordered a 3 pack of Dramamine and the expiration date was soon.  They credited my account.  Last year, two days before Christmas, I could find my cookie shooter.  I ordered a cheap one from them and it was at my house the next day!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

We haven't experienced a delivery delay, but we were surprised today to see our FedEx delivery arrive in a 'Penske' (rental) truck.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@brandiwine The problem with UPS has NOTHING TO DO WITH QVC...I have packages coming from all different places and I am getting the same messages..If you read the OP she said that it was packages from Amazon too...

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

This sounds unusual for Amazon to me, @GenXmuse.  I haven't had any problems with them through the years.  A couple of times an incorrect item was sent and they replaced it without me sending the incorrect item back.  They said just keep it.  Of course, they were t expensive items.  Once I ordered a 3 pack of Dramamine and the expiration date was soon.  They credited my account.  Last year, two days before Christmas, I could find my cookie shooter.  I ordered a cheap one from them and it was at my house the next day!

I know!  That's what's so strange!  I been a prime member for seven years and have rarely had any problems since now. I checked twitter and it seems others are having similar issues. I know they'll do what they can in the end but very unusual. Glad they did right by you!