Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is An Omission The Same As a Lie?

Depends on the situation.

Super Contributor

In the OP's case if the omission was to avoid conflict, it is not necessarily a lie.

If it was to hide the truth, then it is a lie.

Respected Contributor

Omission is a deliberate neglect of details, an untruth, not a mistake. By omission a truthful answer to a direct question may be in jeopardy.

Honored Contributor

I think so.
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Ford1224 said:

Depends on if it's an omission that hurts someone, or could help someone.

If it's a personal omission about one's own life, I believe in having every right not to disclose it.

So do I. Just because someone wants to know something about you, doesn't mean you have to tell them.

Law enforcement, but not friends or even family.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I worked for a company at one time where just about every thing was on a need to know basis, you can't imagine all the havoc this caused. I prefer to be upfront and honest with people especially at work so they can function at their best. I find if some one with holds information on purpose they might not be trust worthy.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 cody2 said:

When I was a very young girl, a loooonnnng time ago, I was taught that if I went to confession on Saturday and confessed all my sins that I remembered I would be forgiven. I can remember trying really, really hard to forget if I had told a lie or coveted my best friends new toy. Then I would go to confession and omit those sins. In my heart, and in His eyes I was still lying and I knew it. So did He.

It is pretty simple to me. A lie is a lie is a lie no matter how one chooses to spin it.

This isn't about a religious confession where it's expected that the person will tell all, it's about real life where everyone has a right, maybe even a duty, to keep personal information personal.

Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2015 occasional rain said:
On 1/27/2015 cody2 said:

When I was a very young girl, a loooonnnng time ago, I was taught that if I went to confession on Saturday and confessed all my sins that I remembered I would be forgiven. I can remember trying really, really hard to forget if I had told a lie or coveted my best friends new toy. Then I would go to confession and omit those sins. In my heart, and in His eyes I was still lying and I knew it. So did He.

It is pretty simple to me. A lie is a lie is a lie no matter how one chooses to spin it.

This isn't about a religious confession where it's expected that the person will tell all, it's about real life where everyone has a right, maybe even a duty, to keep personal information personal.

MY posts are about whatever I choose them to be. YOU should just worry about YOURS.

Respected Contributor

Depends on the person doing the omitting. If it's an older person perhaps suffering from dementia or just plain old memory problems, likely not a lie but, if it's a politician, the chances of an omission being a lie is likely 99.9%.

Trusted Contributor

Cody, I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.