Respected Contributor

Re: Is An Omission The Same As a Lie?

On 1/29/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/29/2015 cody2 said:
On 1/29/2015 cody2 said:

Hey there Noel. Nice to see you out and about. I hope you are feeling better.

Part of my downfall is that I am such a literal person. To me, a lie with good intent is still a lie. Omission of the truth to protect someone or oneself is still a lie.

Don't misunderstand...I am as guilty of those kind of lies as anyone. I suppose that I think there are probably good lies and bad ones. But all lies nonetheless. I guess it is just my good, old Catholic boarding school self talking. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Hi Cody,

I love a good philosophical discussion for the sake of exchanging ideas, not fighting {#emotions_dlg.wub}

For me, using the word "lie" is automatically a negative thing, and yet there are so many times we do what others would call a "lie" and there's nothing negative about it.

I can remember when my mother was sick and I was taking care of her. I never told her that I was sick, also, but in a different way. I didn't want her to worry about me because it would cause her great stress, and stress makes people even more sick.

Lupus groups talk all the time about not telling family and friends how bad they really feel, for various reasons.

Just two examples, but I don't consider any of them lies.

I understand what you are saying, completely. I find this subject and the replies to be a very interesting topic. The exchange of opinions is a good thing. I am in no way intending to put any one else's opinions down. Many things in life are all about intent with me. The intent to protect someone we love is a valid reason to omit the truth sometimes.

I know you well enough to know that, which is why I always like talking to you about anything Smile

BTW, when I grew up in SF it was a Catholic town. Most people I knew were RC, including my mother who took me to mass with her. She later converted to being Protestant, though. Hail Mary was the first thing I ever memorized.

I mention that to let you know I understand what you were saying in an earlier post. I also know about lies of omission and commission Smile

I lived at Mt. St. Joseph's on the hill there. It has since been torn down. We had to take Muni to school. I went' to St. Peter's. Speaking of lies...I sometimes missed the bus going back to the "prison" after school just to spend some time people watching. More truthfully...boy watching, lol. Boys were the forbidden desire at boarding school which made them even more attractive. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 cody2 said:
On 1/29/2015 cody2 said:
On 1/29/2015 cody2 said:

Hey there Noel. Nice to see you out and about. I hope you are feeling better.

Part of my downfall is that I am such a literal person. To me, a lie with good intent is still a lie. Omission of the truth to protect someone or oneself is still a lie.

Don't misunderstand...I am as guilty of those kind of lies as anyone. I suppose that I think there are probably good lies and bad ones. But all lies nonetheless. I guess it is just my good, old Catholic boarding school self talking. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Hi Cody,

I love a good philosophical discussion for the sake of exchanging ideas, not fighting {#emotions_dlg.wub}

For me, using the word "lie" is automatically a negative thing, and yet there are so many times we do what others would call a "lie" and there's nothing negative about it.

I can remember when my mother was sick and I was taking care of her. I never told her that I was sick, also, but in a different way. I didn't want her to worry about me because it would cause her great stress, and stress makes people even more sick.

Lupus groups talk all the time about not telling family and friends how bad they really feel, for various reasons.

Just two examples, but I don't consider any of them lies.

I understand what you are saying, completely. I find this subject and the replies to be a very interesting topic. The exchange of opinions is a good thing. I am in no way intending to put any one else's opinions down. Many things in life are all about intent with me. The intent to protect someone we love is a valid reason to omit the truth sometimes.

I know you well enough to know that, which is why I always like talking to you about anything Smile

BTW, when I grew up in SF it was a Catholic town. Most people I knew were RC, including my mother who took me to mass with her. She later converted to being Protestant, though. Hail Mary was the first thing I ever memorized.

I mention that to let you know I understand what you were saying in an earlier post. I also know about lies of omission and commission Smile

I lived at Mt. St. Joseph's on the hill there. It has since been torn down. We had to take Muni to school. I went' to St. Peter's. Speaking of lies...I sometimes missed the bus going back to the "prison" after school just to spend some time people watching. More truthfully...boy watching, lol. Boys were the forbidden desire at boarding school which made them even more attractive. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

You little devil, you {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Do you remember the Catholic home for unwed mothers, I think it was called St. Elizabeth's. It was near the old Petrini's.

If girls got too interested in boys, someone always said, "You're going to end up at St. Elizabeth's!" {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Cattitude said:

I went out with a man a long time ago who said he was a widower. True, but he also was married shortly after his wife died and then she divorced him. He never mentioned he married after losing his wife yet he called himself a widower, I call him a liar.

Yeah, I consider that a lie, too.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of the discussion in the jewelry forum about whether one should or should not TELL people if one is wearing Diamonique.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 cody2 said:

When I was a very young girl, a loooonnnng time ago, I was taught that if I went to confession on Saturday and confessed all my sins that I remembered I would be forgiven. I can remember trying really, really hard to forget if I had told a lie or coveted my best friends new toy. Then I would go to confession and omit those sins. In my heart, and in His eyes I was still lying and I knew it. So did He.

It is pretty simple to me. A lie is a lie is a lie no matter how one chooses to spin it.

cody....please don't take offense but I find it heartbreaking that as an innocent child you were subjected to that. How in the world can an innocent child have sins???? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Ilikeshade said:
On 1/27/2015 cody2 said:

When I was a very young girl, a loooonnnng time ago, I was taught that if I went to confession on Saturday and confessed all my sins that I remembered I would be forgiven. I can remember trying really, really hard to forget if I had told a lie or coveted my best friends new toy. Then I would go to confession and omit those sins. In my heart, and in His eyes I was still lying and I knew it. So did He.

It is pretty simple to me. A lie is a lie is a lie no matter how one chooses to spin it.

cody....please don't take offense but I find it heartbreaking that as an innocent child you were subjected to that. How in the world can an innocent child have sins???? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Well, that is only ONE of the reasons that I began to question my Church as I grew up. It was always fear of what would happen to us if we made a mistake because He was always watching. But lying and coveting are really sins. Minor ones IMO, but sins nonetheless. I am still a Catholic. I just take the good that fits my life and leave the rest behind. Things are beginning to change but slowly. Hope springs eternal.

Honored Contributor

Cody, thank you for describing my spiritual life.