Honored Contributor

Irma 'extended' forecast for inland states...

[ Edited ]

Mind you, this is several days out, and forecasts can change a lot. However, I was listening to the weather channel and CNN/NOAA and one of the meteorologists briefly stated worry down the road of Irma in about a week from now.

For those of you that watched a lot of news forecasts on Harvey...remember those 'spahgetti' type of graphs showing a 'birds nest' on how Harvey was hanging around Houston area for so long? And how it was due to Harvey being trapped...so to speak by high pressure on both sides with no place to go. It also also showed Harvey moving a measly 3 mph and circling the area for days...making several landfalls.

Anyway, I explained all of that for a reason since many don't know about those graphs and I wanted to explain this image below...the only one I found online which at least gives the general area that meteorologist was talking about (the circle/dotted area at the end of the cone) and was concerned that Irma will circle that area for quite a duration before fizzling out...creating major flooding. He saw the 'birds nest' developing in the spahgetti graph again like with Harvey!

I just thought I'd share for those in that area to just keep your antennae up over the next week. Hopefully the duration Irma hangs around the midwest will be much less than down in Houston area with Harvey.

gggUntitled.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Irma 'extended' forecast for inland states...

I watched the weather channel for a bit earlier.  They were showing the areas they expect power outages.  Florida, Georgia, South/North Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama.  There may have been another state.  It put things in perspective.

Honored Contributor

Our local forecasters are still calling for this southern area of WV to see an inch or so of rain from Irma on Tuesday.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

Our local forecasters are still calling for this southern area of WV to see an inch or so of rain from Irma on Tuesday.   

@RedTop  West Va is not in the circle I spoke of in my OP. Look at the image I posted.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop  West Va is not in the circle I spoke of in my OP. Look at the image I posted.

That's strange it would be in southern wva when I'm not far from WVa in Maryland.  I don't have that forecast at all.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the hurricanes keep moving north and you can end up with rain in Illinois.  Of course, you won't have hurricane winds but you will have the rain.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I am concerned about peoples' safety first and it seems as though people did comply with evacuating.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise,

Right, West Virginia has not been in Irma's path since the storm moved towards FL, but local forecasters have been watching the width of her outer bands, and continue to predict we will see a rain event from this storm, as will part of Virginia.   

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

That's strange it would be in southern wva when I'm not far from WVa in Maryland.  I don't have that forecast at all.  

@Blingqueen023  Did you look at the map I posted in my OP? Did you read everything I typed? There is nothing even remotely close to VA, West VA or even Maryland in the cone or circle on the map...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@Susan Louise,

Right, West Virginia has not been in Irma's path since the storm moved towards FL, but local forecasters have been watching the width of her outer bands, and continue to predict we will see a rain event from this storm, as will part of Virginia.   

@RedTop  Yes, I am not saying you won't get any effects from Irma, but I am just focusing this thread on those that might have Irma for several days with possible major flooding (those who live in the circle with dots on the map)...HTH clear things up for you and @Blingqueen023 ...and anyone else Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@Blingqueen023  Did you look at the map I posted in my OP? Did you read everything I typed? There is nothing even remotely close to VA, West VA or even Maryland in the cone or circle on the map...

Actually I was responding to RedTop in WVa.  Shes not that far from me.  I'm in Western MD sort of in the top center of the state.  WVa is very close.  Was just stating that my weather report was different.  No heavy rain for me at all since we're close to each other.  Yes I do read.