Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Nursing Home Casualties

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

It makes me so angry!  Then I start to cry; then I get angry again.

When I saw the story on the news, first I stood there with my mouth open, then I got tears in my eyes and told my DH to change the channel.  I just couldn't stand it.  Then I went on a rant that sent my dog running.

Unbelievable.

Honored Contributor

@2blondeJust stay on that soapbox and shout!  If we don't, then those like those eight poor souls have virtually no chance.

Honored Contributor

The news I heard last night was that criminal charges are being considered.

I have trouble with heat, also.  I don't even want to imagine what those poor people went through, suffering, most likely alone.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

What happened at this nursing home shocked but did not surprise me.

For several years when I lived nearby I regularly visited several nursing homes and volunteered to write letters for residents, read to them and other small, personal services. I was warmly welcomed by staff and residents and my "services" much appreciated.

When I approached this facility to volunteer I was appalled not only by the conditions I saw but also by staff. They made it clear my services were not needed but it was done in such a way that I was left with the impression they did not want outsiders interacting with the residents. That impression was based on the way they reacted to letter writing on behalf of residents.

The conditions, smells and attitude were so bad that I immediately reported the facility to social services (which also had many, many problems at the time).

I have no idea how they are still in business. I also do not know if the ownership/management is the same, I no longer live in the area, but from the statement I heard about the excessive calls to EMS it doesn't sound like there was improvement over the years.

To answer one question that some may have, inspections generally are scheduled so the facility knows well in advance when the inspector(s) will be there and lot can be readily hidden.

One last comment, keeping in mind this was a number of years ago, it seemed to me that this facility was a dumping ground. I can't imagine any caring family keeping their loved one in such a place.

@Marp

Last night I saw an interview with the son of one victim.  He was angry that no one told him until yesterday that his mother had died in that home.

What The Hades?  Where was HE all that time?  Why didn't he contact everyone involved to find out about his own mother?
Honored Contributor

@jubilant.  I do not think all the facts are out for you to know enough to make any kind of statement about this situation.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@jubilant.  I do not think all the facts are out for you to know enough to make any kind of statement about this situation.  

@SeaMaiden, I think there is enough out on this place ,to make a statement.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@jubilant: It's awful Poor seniors! It's not only Hurricane Irma, it also negligence and mistreatment of these people. One of the victims was 99 years old. She had a long life and ended up like this. 

I'm sure there will be lawsuits against that nursing home and forced its closing.

Honored Contributor

It's murder.  At best manslaughter.  It doesn't matter what the families were told or when they were told it.  The fact is, that nursing home and I use the term "nursing" loosley should have forseen that this was likely to happen.  They should moved those patients out before the hurricane came, there was enough lead time.  But when the AC went out and that place started to heat up like a sauna, they should have called in the EMT's and evacuated the patients.  Instead, they chose to let them roast to death.  It boggles the mind.   

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

Just awful. Makes me wonder what kind of care these people received during normal days.

Exactly.  My husband is an RN and he thinks that's what they were trying to hide.  The patients had been mistreated, maltreated and perhaps abused that is why they didn't evacuate them or call in EMT's.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

**********   In my opinion, the facts are right there staring us in the face....if not slapping us in the face.  They can argue all they want to.  I've got eyes.  This could have been prevented.  Someone needs to answer for this so it never happens again.  There is no doubt in my mind that something was terribly wrong here.