Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Nursing Home Casualties

@AuntG wrote:

This is just like a rodent in your house; for every one you see, there are ten you don't.  Some states regulate nursing homes better than others, but I'd bet this horrific level of care is happening all over the country.

You could not be more correct! Most people have no idea what goes on in these facilities and would be shocked by the care residents receive. The annual surveys are a joke. 

This story did not surprise me at all.

Honored Contributor

Do you think the families of the residents knew how bad it was?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie wrote:

Just musings...I wonder how many staff at that NH did not show up for work, for instance, if this was in a mandatory evacuation zone and staff did not go to work that would server to follow that the ones that were left there were ,....left there. In the past, it seems nurses were supposed to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their patients. If there was a fire in the surgical suite, they were to drag the patients down hallways using a sheet, etc. That concept of self sacrifice no longer exists. people have their own families and need to protect them. I am just wondering how much of the issue was a staffing one. Also, blame should be on  the Hospital a parking lot away, too. It appears there is enough blame to certainly serve everyone at that table. And it goes to show one, that in an emergency or disaster, it is pretty much chaos.

@Deanie, in response to some of your musings:

I can almost guarantee that on any given day this facility was understaffed.

It is not in an evacuation zone and was considered hurricane safe.

The nursing home is not affiliated with Memorial Hospital so the hospital has no blame.  In fact, once so many patients started coming into the ER a nurse went to the home to see what was going on.  After what she saw staff from the hospital was called over to help evacuate the patients from the NH. Her actions undoubtedly saved lives.

In regard to your image of today's nurses (all first responders?) all I will say is my experiences are far different than your perceptions.

Now, a musing for you.  What responsibility or blame could the hospital possibly have in this debacle?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Image result for picture of woman banging head against wall

Breath deeply....and again....and again

Honored Contributor

I don't see how the hospital  would have any blame.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot imagine those poor elederly patients suffering in the heat.  It was 114 here not too long a go, and we dont have AC.  I have the ability to get up and move, run a fan, drink more fluids, take a cold shower, ice packs.  I cannot imagine having to lay there in the heat with no relief, no help unable to do anything.

I tell you what.  If this was a weak, helpless kitten or puppy left in the heat , fending alone...there would be more  outrage !  I

i think the nursing home could have asked for help, got generators to run fans or simply MOVED them.  It took a whistle blower

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty, I very respectfully request that you edit your post and change the word hospital to nursing home or facility to avoid confusion. 

The hospital involved in this case is the hero.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie wrote:

Just musings...I wonder how many staff at that NH did not show up for work, for instance, if this was in a mandatory evacuation zone and staff did not go to work that would server to follow that the ones that were left there were ,....left there. In the past, it seems nurses were supposed to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their patients. If there was a fire in the surgical suite, they were to drag the patients down hallways using a sheet, etc. That concept of self sacrifice no longer exists. people have their own families and need to protect them. I am just wondering how much of the issue was a staffing one. Also, blame should be on  the Hospital a parking lot away, too. It appears there is enough blame to certainly serve everyone at that table. And it goes to show one, that in an emergency or disaster, it is pretty much chaos.

*****************  In any nursing home I have been in there are very caring people.  There are also some just putting in their time.  In most, I find there is a shortage of nurses.....especially during the day and on week-ends. It's the Administrator that pretty much runs the show and calls the shots from what I have seen.

Anyone who was witnessing what was happening in that facility has to live with themselves.   If they don't have any more knowledge than this on how to take care of the elderly....especially in heat like they had ....THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS RUNNING A NURSING HOME.  Not to mention there was no reason (I can think of) not to move them out of that heat...... a few feet away to a place they would be comfortable and cared for.  They were either sadly lacking in empathy, afraid to report, or totally ignorant.

I edited this to add....this need not to have been chaos.  Not when help was right across the street.  I don't know if this is true or not....but they said they still had power to run fans, etc.  So where was the back up plan?  Where was a back up generator?They were responsible to those people.  It's like people who tie a dog to a tree with a hurricane coming.  Surely, even a dog needs more forethought on how they will be protected than that.  The heat should have been anticipated....especially for the elderly and so many of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@shoekitty, I very respectfully request that you edit your post and change the word hospital to nursing home or facility to avoid confusion. 

The hospital involved in this case is the hero.

@Marp  Thank you!!  So sorry.  I dont know why I put that but, I meant the nursing home.  Yes, the hospital did come to the rescue. I cant imagine what would have happened had they not only intervened, but blew the whistle, so to speak

also, the nursing home is saying it did call State for help.  We will see what went on.  In my opinion, calling the state or not...perhaps they could have used emergengy procedures asap. Again, we will find out, because this will not go away....or should it. 

Honored Contributor

@Marp

I wanted to let you know that the picture I posted was not directed at you.  I have appreciated all of your input and posts on this matter.  I have seen what goes on at some of these nursing homes and this subject is a sore one for me.  I am happy to say, that in an incident we had with my dad just 2 weeks before he died, we were able to expose some things that resulted in 2 people being removed from the nursing home and we were able to do it without mentioning the names of those who really cared about my Dad and risked their jobs to tell us some details.

The home my Dad was in.... started out doctor owned.  When one of the big health companies bought it.....that's when things started really going downhill.  I don't want people to think that I hate nurses.  There are many good ones as well as nurses aids, etc.  A lot of them don't like what they see either.  People need to speak up and speaking for myself and my family...we respect so much those that stepped up to the plate to help my dad, and I'm sure from the way they whispered to us and looked around to see if anyone was listening when they told us....they were worried about losing their jobs but did it anyway.  Thank God for people like this!