Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Nursing Home Casualties

The US nursing home industry has consistently fought regulations and oversight and has put its money where its mouth is, if you get my drift.

Same-old, same-old reasoning we hear all the time: Regulatons would adversely affect their business.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

Just awful. Makes me wonder what kind of care these people received during normal days.

Exactly.  My husband is an RN and he thinks that's what they were trying to hide.  The patients had been mistreated, maltreated and perhaps abused that is why they didn't evacuate them or call in EMT's.

@chrystaltree

If it's appropriate, give your husband my thanks.  Nurses are my favorite people.  I was in the hospital a week and a half ago and had several great male nurses on the night shift.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/post-irma-nursing-home-tragedy-sets-off-alarms-across-florida/

please watch this

Thanks @jubilant  I did read it and it gave me chills.   Leaving older people helpless like that...  And it seems like that one guy I mentioned earlier wasn't the only family member who couldn't be bothered checking on his or her nursing home patient.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're welcome, Noel.  I couldn't get over seeing in that video where that hospital was.  There it was....big as you please, 15 steps away from the nursing facility!!!!!  Oh my goodness.  Just shocking that they had access to it and weren't using it???????  Fifteen steps away!  Did you watch it that far?  I'm hoping people will see that.  I wished someone would post that guy hitting his head against a pole or wall or something.  That's what I feel like doing.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

You're welcome, Noel.  I couldn't get over seeing in that video where that hospital was.  There it was....big as you please, 15 steps away from the nursing facility!!!!!  Oh my goodness.  Just shocking that they had access to it and weren't using it???????  Fifteen steps away!  Did you watch it that far?  I'm hoping people will see that.  I wished someone would post that guy hitting his head against a pole or wall or something.  That's what I feel like doing.  

@jubilant

Oh, yes, I saw the video showing the hospital, it's a small parking lot away from the home.

I also saw the video showing many, many patients finally wheeled out to a safe place. 

Not even bringing patients down to a lower floor, that was torture.

Honored Contributor

This is just like a rodent in your house; for every one you see, there are ten you don't.  Some states regulate nursing homes better than others, but I'd bet this horrific level of care is happening all over the country.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

I hope you are recovering well from that hospitalization.  I will pass your kind comments along to my husband.  Actually, I'm up now waiting for him to come in.  He's a utilization review nurse and works in an office setting  now but he still loves patient care so he works 2 evenings a week as a floater in local hospital.  He's everything a nurse should be, he really cares about his patients.  I remember from my own hospitalizations that it's the evening nurses who get us through those long and difficult nights.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7

I hope you are recovering well from that hospitalization.  I will pass your kind comments along to my husband.  Actually, I'm up now waiting for him to come in.  He's a utilization review nurse and works in an office setting  now but he still loves patient care so he works 2 evenings a week as a floater in local hospital.  He's everything a nurse should be, he really cares about his patients.  I remember from my own hospitalizations that it's the evening nurses who get us through those long and difficult nights.

@chrystaltree

The nursing home deaths breaks my heart; just makes me heartsick to hear the details and think about it.

So interesting that we share similar occupations (as we discovered in another thread) - and I actually used to do UR when the concept was new (and doctors hated it) and being an RN wasn't a requirement. I went to the dept meetings, helped draw up audit topics and criteria, had the physical charts pulled, abstracted the data, figured the statistics and did spread sheets on a typewriter(!). Then went to the next dept meeting with the results and got slammed ;-(

From my surgery experience about 10 years ago, I totally agree it was the night nurses who were the kindest and most empathetic by far.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Just musings...I wonder how many staff at that NH did not show up for work, for instance, if this was in a mandatory evacuation zone and staff did not go to work that would server to follow that the ones that were left there were ,....left there. In the past, it seems nurses were supposed to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their patients. If there was a fire in the surgical suite, they were to drag the patients down hallways using a sheet, etc. That concept of self sacrifice no longer exists. people have their own families and need to protect them. I am just wondering how much of the issue was a staffing one. Also, blame should be on  the Hospital a parking lot away, too. It appears there is enough blame to certainly serve everyone at that table. And it goes to show one, that in an emergency or disaster, it is pretty much chaos.