Respected Contributor

Re: Irma Nursing Home Casualties

@Marp  Thank you so much for providing your unique insight on this.  It's reprehensible that something like this had to happen for people to take notice.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Nursing homes are too often, killers.

Honored Contributor

@2blondeThat info alone -  the home's low rating -  may explain a whole lot.  We may never get the whole story for each victim, but I'm willing to bet there aren't many pretty stories among that whole, sad group.

Obviously, I'm guessing, but I'm guessing the residents left in that home during the storm do not have family, do not have local family, have family who either doesn't have resources or, worst of all, just doesn't care. 

I do know that even when there are families that care, they can be up against a wall over and over even without the horror of a storm like Harvey or Irma.

Whatever the reason, it petrifies me to think I live in a society that doesn't seem to want to figure how how to better protect people who are so personally defenseless.   We see these same pictures over and over and over -  the exact numbers differ from tragedy to tragedy, but the suffering is similar.  

Esteemed Contributor

This story makes me so angry!

There is NO reason for ANY of those patients to have suffered and died like that.

NONE.

I smell a lawsuit coming.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops  Yes, and the response from Marp further substantiates the fact that this nursing home was way below standards and had serious issues for a long time.  You are probably correct in thinking this place was for those without family or friends to look out for them.

I just think people need to understand that these older and often infirm people are not just "throw aways."  They are real people just like you and me who deserve to leave this Earth with dignity and care.  Someday, God willing, we will all be old and possibly vulnerable like they are.  A society that doesn't care for it's vulnerable is a society that's doomed.  (I'll get of my soapbox now.)

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I just went through a nursing home incident with my dad so this has me very angry and sad.  These patients families need to get their state health board right on this.....although hopefully the state is already on it.  There should have been a backup plan for these poor souls.  No excuse for this.  Oh, I'm so angry about this pure neglect and lack of regard for those knowingly unable to save themselves.

Respected Contributor

This facilty has been getting notifications about their lack of care for years.  But, the state of Florida did nothing about it.  They have to crack down on these substandard nursing homes.  The companies that own them are just after the money and have no compassion for those living there.

Honored Contributor

I'm not defending the nursing home but I'll say this, those are the most vulnerable of all the people in FL.   I'm sure more could be done, but when you are in a crisis, it's easy to then be an armchair quarterback saying what should have been done.    

They seemed to follow all the protocol necessary as far as back ups, loss of power etc.

What's really sad is if any employees are let go after an investigation, including the administrator, nurses & PAs, they will all show up in a different nursing home.   

Many people suffer and die during severe weather but we trust those in the nursing home to be as proactive as possible for their patients.

Respected Contributor

Every state has a state agency that licenses and regulates assisted living facilities and nursing homes.  I have read that this particular facility had quite a few problems in that past.  And by @Marp's post things have been shady for some time.  So the state needs to look at how and why they let things like this go.  Especially since one of their citations was given for not testing their generator.  

I still can't fathom how you can contact 911, the power company, etc. and not give critical information about how it is impacting your residents and you might have life threatening conditions occurring.  If those reports are true, just can't begin to comprehend...........

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

We heard this morning that this facility had had over 130 911 calls during the last year. Major red flag.  Don't EMT's look around when they are on a call?   ....not saying that it is the EMT's fault.   The level of training of staff and the number of staff per patient has got to be VERY low.

It is sad and most likely, not rare.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!