Honored Contributor

Irma Nursing Home Casualties

I have a lot of unanswerd questions about this situation.

Were their families notified of the problems?

Why were previous arrangements not made for them?

Why didn't they have back up generators?

I haven't watched the news yet this morning but DH did and he just told me there was a hospital right across the street from one of these nursing homes and it sounded like they had a backup generator working there.  Surely that can't be true???  I'm thinking maybe he heard wrong.  Anyone have more information on this tragedy?

Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Nursing Home Casualties

@jubilant, the hospital was across but down the street.  Still too close to not be notified of the conditions.  They had a generator but something was wrong with it.  I have a feeling that this place was below standards in the first place.  Eight people!  Unbelievable!  When the first resident died, didn't they notify someone?  They claim to have called 911 when the air conditioner went out and no one came.  Why didn't somebody walk down to the hospital for help?  Totally unbelievable!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Just awful. Makes me wonder what kind of care these people received during normal days.

Honored Contributor

Just awful, there was 3 calls to the hospital.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The paramedics found them on the second floor of the building.  Can you imagine how hot it must have been up there?  Some of the survivors had dehydration.  What was going on?  I heard on the news this morning that that facility had already received the lowest rating before this happened.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Seriously I know I cannot bury my head in the sand over this but I cannot watch any news stories about this or read articles about it because it makes me so sad and then so angry. 

Esteemed Contributor

What happened at this nursing home shocked but did not surprise me.

For several years when I lived nearby I regularly visited several nursing homes and volunteered to write letters for residents, read to them and other small, personal services. I was warmly welcomed by staff and residents and my "services" much appreciated.

When I approached this facility to volunteer I was appalled not only by the conditions I saw but also by staff. They made it clear my services were not needed but it was done in such a way that I was left with the impression they did not want outsiders interacting with the residents. That impression was based on the way they reacted to letter writing on behalf of residents.

The conditions, smells and attitude were so bad that I immediately reported the facility to social services (which also had many, many problems at the time).

I have no idea how they are still in business. I also do not know if the ownership/management is the same, I no longer live in the area, but from the statement I heard about the excessive calls to EMS it doesn't sound like there was improvement over the years.

To answer one question that some may have, inspections generally are scheduled so the facility knows well in advance when the inspector(s) will be there and lot can be readily hidden.

One last comment, keeping in mind this was a number of years ago, it seemed to me that this facility was a dumping ground. I can't imagine any caring family keeping their loved one in such a place.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I cannot wrap my head around such neglect.  I cannot imagine what those people endured. 

Honored Contributor

It makes me so angry!  Then I start to cry; then I get angry again.

Respected Contributor

This story is so sad and makes me furious!!!  EIGHT PEOPLE!!!  Three calls came in within 90 minutes of each other.  Saw this morning the facility had a lot of previous violations.  Who was the genius running this place?  Those poor patients; suffering in the heat, dehydrated, can't help themselves or get water.  Think about when you've been your absolute sickest of your life, you're weak and can hardly pick your head up off the pillow, and we're younger than these people.  We sometimes need help, but these people depend on the caregivers of this facility to help them.  It just makes me sick thinking about it!