Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Is Downgraded To a Cat 4

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

She's still going to do a .... load of damage though, and is still aiming for Florida.

@Plaid Pants2  Currently, Irma still has sustained winds of 155 mph with gusts that still exceed at times of over 200 mph...so technically a Cat 4. To be a Cat 5 hurricane, winds have to be sustained at 156+ mph.

I wouldn't split hairs over 1 mph and Irma may still regain some strength since it is passing through the warmest waters before landfall in FL tomorrow...

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

She's still going to do a .... load of damage though, and is still aiming for Florida.

@Plaid Pants2  Currently, Irma still has sustained winds of 155 mph with gusts that still exceed at times of over 200 mph...so technically a Cat 4. To be a Cat 5 hurricane, winds have to be sustained at 156+ mph.

I wouldn't split hairs over 1 mph and Irma may still regain some strength since it is passing through the warmest waters before landfall in FL tomorrow...

@Susan Louise

I agree with you.  Woman Happy

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Irma becomes a Cat 5 again.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If I did not have enough money to evacuate and was ordered to do so, I would think there would be some kind of assistance to provide transportation and shelter.

@SilleeMee  The Florida Gov stated that EVERYONE has transportation out of harms way and to a shelter. Just call them and volunteers will pick you up...

Unfortunately, too many folks are stubborn. The latest map of the entire southern 1/3 of FL will have rain between 12-16 inches. If their homes aren't blown away, they will be floating...

It is just nuts that these folks will be putting rescuers in harms way after the storm passes...

I don't want to hear those folks complain about being left with no food or water...no sympathy here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@garmer wrote:

Jose is now a cat 4.

Gawd I wish that wasn't so.  Looks like some of the computer tracking models for Jose have it going out to sea in a more northerly direction than Irma.

Trusted Contributor

According to CNN. and all the weather people, IRMA is larger than the width of Florida so it will be devastating no matter where it lands (west side, east side, or middle of the state. The people that are staying are risking their lives.Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

The Daily Mail today has a story about some Floridians planning to stay and party.  These are mostly younger people, I suppose.  As if it's not risky enough to refuse to evacuate and they need to get intoxicated.  These people have no common sense.  It always strikes me as such a waste that people would put themselves in harm's way like this.

Honored Contributor

We should start a thread for everyone who is hunkering down. They could give a brief description of where they will be and who they will be with.  Once it is over, they could let us know how it went.  This one will be quick compared to what the Texans endured.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

We should start a thread for everyone who is hunkering down. They could give a brief description of where they will be and who they will be with.  Once it is over, they could let us know how it went.  This one will be quick compared to what the Texans endured.

@AuntG  Good idea.  Would you start one?  Don't want to have a duplicate.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh