Honored Contributor

Re: Irish May Have More Viking DNA Than Previously Known

wrote:

@Noel7 Mine still isn't finished, but my Mom's Ancestry DNA showed 8% Scandinavian. I was surprised, but then this connection clicked in my head.

It showed extremely high probability of two second cousins with similar backgrounds. She recognized one of the last names as one that her mother used to stay in touch with all those years ago.

Oh how nice @Greeneyedlady21 !  I don't find any relatives that close, there are a lot of only children on both sides of my family.

Finnish showed up on my report and Scandinavian for my husband.  Both were surprises Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

My Ancestry DNA came back with 37 percent Irish and the rest split between England and Western Europe which would be German in our case. Interesting though that there is 9 percent Norway that we figure must be Viking invasion-Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

My Ancestry DNA came back with 37 percent Irish and the rest split between England and Western Europe which would be German in our case. Interesting though that there is 9 percent Norway that we figure must be Viking invasion-Smiley Happy

@daisyk 

Oh, how fun!  At least in my opinion Smiley Happy  I was hoping for that, but no.  I did have a French great grandmother I didn't know.

Honored Contributor

Having Viking ancestors sounds as if it would bring strength and a form of sturdiness to one's lineage.  (I don't mean sturdy as in stocky, but as in ability to withstand the elements - that sort of thing.)

With my one half Scottish/Irish ancestry, I find this pretty cool news indeed!

Thanks, @Noel7

(I have hazel eyes, too.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.