Respected Contributor

Someone tried to transfer money from my friend's Fidelity account to an account that was the same number as her elderly mother's account except for one digit. The Fidelity system caught it, blocked it and alerted her.

Whoa baby! How did that happen?

Not all investment accounts reimburse monies stolen. Make sure yours does.

Respected Contributor

Re: Investment Account Security

These THIEVES are EVERYWHERE  !!!

We cannot be too careful.

Don't let your guard down folks.

Honored Contributor

I don't see how that could happen.  I have two Fidelity accounts.  Both accounts are password protected and when I before I can take any action, they send code to my cell phone.  If I dont input that code, I can't take any actions.  Also I doubt that if someone tried to access her account, they would give all that detailed information some woman and the woman's mother.  They would only alert her to a failed attempt to access her account.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree   With all due respect, you're looking at this from the perspective of an honest Fidelity customer. How about a creative pro hacker in Moscow? I posted this as an alert because it's so very unusual. And to remind people that not all investment accounts cover losses, unlike credit cards.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Someone tried to transfer money from my friend's Fidelity account to an account that was the same number as her elderly mother's account except for one digit. The Fidelity system caught it, blocked it and alerted her.

If your friend was notified by Fidelity that her account was tampered with and the intended account to receive it had a number just one digit off her mother's account, then she and her mother and the other account can sue.

This violates so many financial privacity laws.....

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining  Sue for what? They had no losses. Fidelity's systems worked. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@chrystaltree   With all due respect, you're looking at this from the perspective of an honest Fidelity customer. How about a creative pro hacker in Moscow? I posted this as an alert because it's so very unusual. And to remind people that not all investment accounts cover losses, unlike credit cards.

Just using some common sense.  I'm sure your "friend" is a lovely person but that story has so many holes in it, you could drive a fleet of UPS trucks through it.   

Respected Contributor

Life, like Covid, constantly spins off new variants. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

If your friend was notified by Fidelity that her account was tampered with and the intended account to receive it had a number just one digit off her mother's account, then she and her mother and the other account can sue.

This violates so many financial privacity laws.....

I agree with you.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I hope she changed her password. Some investment companies will have extra security options. If Fidelity does, she should use them.