Honored Contributor

Re: Intruder in My Hanging Basket

@ECBG at least in the past, the cardinals preferred the holly trees out front as do the doves.  However, there's a new guy and I'm not sure about him, or maybe the female chooses the site.  

I have a couple of bird houses but the wrens don't use them.  I came home from vacation to a nest in the lettuce I had put outside and I have seen another in the hedge along the sunroom in back.  She did lay eggs in the one in the lettuce, but abandoned it.  No eggs in the hedge nest, but it could be a nest from last year.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   If you keep the hanging plant up, the birds will return year after year.  

@luvzchiz  You are so right.  Mother Dove is already back sitting on the hanging basket again, presumably incubating more eggs.

It's more like she returns week after week.

@Kachina624    Awww, so adorable.  Congratulations grandbirdiema!  🕊

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@Kachina62,

That must have been such a wonderful surprise! she's adopted youSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

So .... did any additional customers come to sit on eggs? 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 

So .... did any additional customers come to sit on eggs? 

@Tinkrbl44    Yep, mamá took 5 or 6 days off then she was back sitting on the nest, presumably incubating more eggs.  She's still there everyday, all day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment