Honored Contributor

Re: Intruder in My Hanging Basket

Here in WV, the wrens are already eyeing the top of our sunshades on the front porch.  Within the last 4 years we lost our snowball bush to a reckless driver, our lilac bush to disease, and our 2 huge trees, so we have no housing for them in our yard.  I hate that, but not enough to let them build nests on the porch!

Respected Contributor

Last year we had a cardinal build a nest in our front door wreath, I didn't notice it until she flew out if it as we approached the front porch one afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I've determined there are two quite large chicks in the nest that appear to be about ready to fledge.  They had a picnic this morning and were practicing wing flaps.  Wish I'd known they were there earlier. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

you're SOOOO lucky! I love Doves, they're such delicate lil cooing beauties.  Enjoy them, tell them Aunt Ko is their forever fan! 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've determined there are two quite large chicks in the nest that appear to be about ready to fledge.  They had a picnic this morning and were practicing wing flaps.  Wish I'd known they were there earlier. 

@Kachina624 

You can see the second one in the photo but I was looking for it. They usually have 2. No 2 is facing the camera sitting lower in the nest with head partially down.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624
Very sweet post. Thanks. We have a pair of doves that come in very early spring. They may a nest on a pergola off of our den. So interesting to watch their comings and goings.
Respected Contributor

Living in SE AZ, I get several types of doves here:  Mourning Doves. White Winged Doves & Inca Doves.

The only ones I've ever had problems with building nests on my house is the Mourning Doves.  They're cute critters, but are not the brightest bulbs in the firmamant.  I used to have acacia trees in my front yard & the nests the doves built in the trees were the dumbest looking things you've ever seen, just a bunch of twigs that you can see light thru,  Had a few babies over the years ,but more often than not, some other birds like big ravens we get here would raid the nest & take the chicks.  I had a few try to build nests on my patio, but they make such a mess with their poor constrution skills that I'd knock it down with a broom before they laid any eggs. 

Now, if they try to start nest building, I turn on the ceiling fan on my patio to scare them off, so they can go build their nests out in the trees where thy belong!

Regular Contributor

We have a detached garage with both a "people" door and a double wide car door along one side.  I have a twig and ivy wreath on the "people" door.  Two years ago a pair of doves built a nest in the wreath.  We noticed it early, while they were building, since we had to go in and out to use our cars.  We usually just open the car door, so we didn't have to disturb the door with the nest, and the birds didn't seem to mind the car door opening and closing.  I remember seeing one adult sitting on the nest and the other sitting on the top of the wreath.  We got to see the birds from nest construction, through laying and hatching 2 eggs, to growing and departing of the little ones.  I was surprised how fast they grew and then were gone.  How cool!

Trusted Contributor

What a sweet picture! At least she choose a hanging basket you don't really care about! Maybe she knew she wouldn't be disturbed there!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  One man's trash is another man's treasure.   Your worn basket has made a safe haven for momma and baby, enjoy your feathered friends!