Honored Contributor

Intruder in My Hanging Basket

I have this old, shabby basket of artificial flowers ready for the dump. I happened to glance at it this morning and saw a couple of sets of eyes staring back at me.  There's a mother dove and a baby who've made it their home.  Mom didn't seem alarmed at my presence. 

I guess the trip to the garbage will have to wait awhile.  Never noticed the birds until today.

20230330_090859.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Intruder in My Hanging Basket

You are a dove grandma!!!!! Congrats @Kachina624 !

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

That is so great!  I have a pair of doves that come back to the same nest every year.  They were just here a few days ago, fixing up their nest after all the storms we've had.

Honored Contributor

@We rescue cats   She picked a great nesting place.  Usually doves aren't that smart.  She's off the ground, under a roof with 2 dogs patrolling the yard.  

I would have thought it was too early for babies as it's been very cold here, especially at night. 

Honored Contributor

How sweet.  I guess mama didn't care that the flowers are artificial.  It must make a nice bed for her and her little one.

Enjoy watching the little one grow up and take flight.

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful affirmation of life!

Such an unexpected gift to bring you joy, Kachina.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

How sweet.  I guess mama didn't care that the flowers are artificial.  It must make a nice bed for her and her little one.

Enjoy watching the little one grow up and take flight.

@Venezia    Just wait until the predicted 70mph winds move in about noon.  They are going to have quite a ride. 

Honored Contributor

I took my lettuce out of the greenhouse when temps warmed up.  A few weeks later we were forecast for a hard freeze and I was going to put it back in the greenhouse, but I noticed there was a nest in it and it had 2 eggs.  Later, I decided she had abandoned it since I hadn't seen any activity around it and discovered 4 eggs in there.  I still haven't seen any activity, so I don't know what's going on with it.  I still think it's been abandoned, but I'm avoiding it just in case.  I know it's the Carolina wrens.  I saw them around it right after I put it out, but I thought they were taking stuff rather than putting stuff in for a nest.  They're always trying to build a nest in the garage.

The mourning doves and the cardinals sometimes nest in the hollies.  It's the main reason I wait so late to trim them back.  Apparently, I'm supposed to be trimming them in February according to the newsletter I got from my local nursery, but that's too cold for me.  Instead, I wait until it's 90 degrees out hoping I don't disturb any nests.  Ugh!  The mourning doves will let you get right up on them before they fly off.  Always startles me if I don't know they're there.  The Cardinals are much more skittish.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

My sister and I had that happen too. In our cases the birds nested in live flowering plants that we had hung up for Spring a couple years ago. I noticed eggs in the basket when I went to water mine. Left it alone and saw mom come back later. I was able to watch them from my sunroom window until they left the nest. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   I had wrens build a nest in the wreath on my front door one year.  Everytime I went out or came in, mom had to take off and fly away.  Very inconvenient for her.