Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

You're in ur 60's and ur applying for a job in an office environment!!!!! Hate to be negative - but companies don't want to hire people over 40. Maybe it's different working for the government - so let us know.

Kivah, if you didn't want to be negative why would you write this?  Dimin don't let this discourage you.You sound like you have a lot to offer, experience, and a  good job history. You are taking the time to prepare and make the best impression. Many many companies and this includes the govt. like to hire people over 40. Why?  Because they are reliable. They show up and bring a wealth of common sense and real life experience.   Best of luck to you!  

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey

I'm very realistic - and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. She's in her 60s - WAKE UP!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Interview Clothes

[ Edited ]

I'm 63 and have been working in a large office environment for a company with an international presence for the last two months..  The women immediately above me have been with this company for between 30 and 40 years.  One is set to retire in January, a year younger than me.

I quit my last job without notice - things were that bad there.  I had been there 19 years, but had to ask that they not be used as a reference.  

I was hired through a temp staffing agency, replacing another temp who got another job and had been there for 8 months.  Only had a phone interview, as security is pretty high there.

Any way, I was surprised indeed, after hearing so much negative talk about older women.  

Actually was hired in two places within 2 weeks time.  This one was the better one.

We are at an all time low in the unemployment rate, and older workers do have a lot to offer.  Don't give up!  And if possible, it is helpful if you "know" someone already there and know about the company.  

Its been a lot to learn.  Not easy, both physically and mentally.  Use the word "challenging".  But I've been pleased that I have been able to pick up on learning a new accounting program. 

And yeah, no dresses or panty hose required.  My state unemployment site says hose are no longer a requirement.  

Respected Contributor

i'm around the same age. just shoot me now if i had to interview again and work in an office. TGIR!!!

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@50Mickey

I'm very realistic - and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. She's in her 60s - WAKE UP!!!

So you are saying that a woman inher 60's has no chance of obtaining employmnet in an office? Is it really necessary to make yourself the bearer of bad news? Being realistic is one thing but being unnecessarily cruel is another. Maybe you need to wake up and realize just how your post sounded.  

Honored Contributor
At 58 I interviewed for a staff position in an office. The interviewer called her manager who worked out of another office, who spoke with me on the phone and I was hired, on the spot. It is not impossible to obtain good employment at any age. Within 3 months I was promoted to manager, then general manager of our division. Good luck with your interview and keep us posted. You go, girl!
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono

Both of these are precisely my style.  Dress like this when the occasion calls for an "upgrade".  Otherwise, casual is the style o' the day.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown