Contributor

Re: Interesting sign at the Kroger checkout....

Maybe this would be a good time to get rid of the blasted penny.Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The Federal Reserve revealed last month that the pandemic had “significantly disrupted” the supply chain and circulation patterns for America’s metal money. The US Mint has slowed production of coins because of measures meant to protect workers amid the crisis, while coin deposits from banks have also fallen in the past few months, the central bank said.

With demand for coins rising as states began to reopen, the Fed on June 15 started limiting how many pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters it distributed to banks as part of its efforts to “mitigate the effects of low coin inventories.”

@Marp   Thank you! 😊

Honored Contributor

Home Depot also had a sign saying national coin shortage. But if you didn't have exact change it wasn't a problem at all. No rounding up necessary.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Nice to know one retailer was fine with rounding down.  I say under 50 cents the retailer takes the hit not me.  They actually need to do just that for the over/short at the end of the day to make the accounting easy and to show the appearance of fairness.

Trusted Contributor

Great. A shortage in coins and a shortage in aluminum cans. What is next?

Honored Contributor

I thought I heard something a while ago that stores did not want cash because it is dirty.  

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I noticed while I was at the self checkout at my local Kroger’s a sign that there is a national coin shortage, and that if I did not have the correct change, my total would be rounded up. Anyone else see these in your state? Wonder why there is a coin shortage? 

It's been in the news for weeks now! People shuddered inside, use CC and not feeling safe using coins, paper $.

Esteemed Contributor

Sincere thanks for being an intelligent group with your responses. I had to do a double take today when a FB friend from a church I went to decades ago made same statement about coins and then added -- Cashless society, mark of the beast, chips in our wrists, must use credit/debit so the government can track us, the illuminate and one world power. My shock was every comment agreeing with all of his comments. I couldn't unfriend fast enough. 

Since pandemic, when I pay cash, I don't accept coins back because I don't want the dirty coins sitting around in my billfold. I also know paper money is dirty. My economist sis verifies the coin shortage since the economy hasn't been vibrant.   

Sorry so long

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Sincere thanks for being an intelligent group with your responses. I had to do a double take today when a FB friend from a church I went to decades ago made same statement about coins and then added -- Cashless society, mark of the beast, chips in our wrists, must use credit/debit so the government can track us, the illuminate and one world power. My shock was every comment agreeing with all of his comments. I couldn't unfriend fast enough. 

Since pandemic, when I pay cash, I don't accept coins back because I don't want the dirty coins sitting around in my billfold. I also know paper money is dirty. My economist sis verifies the coin shortage since the economy hasn't been vibrant.   

Sorry so long

@jeanlake, your rendition of a FB thread cracked me up. I'm surprised he left out the Trilateral Commission.

I bowed out of FB ages ago. Heck, I can barely tolerate my nextdoor.com site.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Well the way I look at it, if the store wants to be paid in full for my purchases I expect to get all of may change back.  It is legal tender.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.