Honored Contributor

As long as that first check came through and payments for my efforts were made on time, I'd do it with possibly a contract that leaves me not responsible should anything go wrong.

Easy money, and as the neighbor, you have an interest in an empty property being watched carefully  and well maintained to preserve the integrity of your own property as well and the neighborhood in general.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I'd at least consider it.  I'd have an attorney type some sort of legal contract, stating that I'm not liable, etc.  Also, probably better if the realtor's office prepares the payment checks, as I would be reporting them as miscellaneous income, tax-wise.  Always better to do everything legal.  Well, just thinking out loud at this stage of the offer.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Unless I needed the money, I would not want to watch and care for the outside of a house I did not own for even a short period of time.  A year to 20 months is a long time and a lot can go wrong.

Honored Contributor

I'd absolutely do it.  In doing so you assure that the value of your own property doesn't decline because an adjacent property becomes derelict.  I'd see it as a win/win situation.  The neighborhood continues to thrive while you earn a few extra bucks.  I don't know why you even ask. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting scenerio

[ Edited ]

I'd do it.  My co-worker lives in the same neighborhood.  She used to travel for a month at a time.  I'd drive by a couple times a week and check the front porch and mailbox.  One of those visits, I'd walk around the house.  I had her brothers number if there was a problem.  Only called once for a minor issue.  I didn't get paid.  It took very little of my time.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like easy money. I don't think anyone is expecting you to make sure and accept liability for keeping the property safe.  You are not a security company and I bet they will have a system installed anyway.  

If you feel comfortable with the arrangement I'd give it a whirl.  Just make sure it's clear what is expected of you and how to handle things when you are out of town.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I would never do such a thing for people I don't know and the the thing sounds sketchy to me.  Who buys a house and can't move in for 2 years.  Seems like a money laundering scheme to me or perhaps tax evasion. They needed to park some money somewhere.  It's big responsibility to take on for complete strangers, even on the up and up, I would not touch that deal with ten foot pole.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Will part of your duties be keeping out squatters?  If they break in and damage the house will you be held responsible for that as well as for the removal of the squatters and their friends and their family? Are you going to be held responsible for calling the police, filing out the police report and keeping the police department current if the squatters come back?  Why don't they hire a property management co and rent it out for 1-2 years? 

Honored Contributor

Something doesn't sound right imo. To buy a house and not live it until 12-20 months is strange. If their realtor going to manage the house anyways, they can do the other things. I would hope their utilities will be on. Not having water go through the pipes for that long, flushing the toilet etc. is a real problem.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We live in a desirable neighborhood of 'newer' homes.  When houses go on the market they sell quick and for full price or above.

Our neighbor sold their home in a few days 2 months ago.  Fast forward to this week...

We have learned that the new owners are not able to move in for 12-20 months.  She works in Europe and Asia, he works in Asia.  They live in Asia.

The Realtor is going to 'manage' the house for a fee.  Taking care of hiring lawn care, snow removal services, etc.

The new owners (who we never met) have asked it we would "watch over the house" look for and remove flyers,  water the plants in the planters, confirm the lawn and garden is kept in good order by the hired company, etc.

They are willing to pay us several hundred dollars a month to do this.  The Realtor will pay us directly in cash or check.

We have exchanged emails with the new owners who seem lovely, and they are going to visit this fall.  

The Realtor is a well known Realtor in the area and she is one sharp cookie.   She also lives close and will help keep an eye on things.

Would you consider such an arrangement?  

No their house their responsibiltiy let the new owners find a property manager.  

It there is a problem   they will look to you

Decline not worth it