Trusted Contributor

Re: Interesting observation of manners at dinner-there is hope for the youth of tomorrow!

@JaneMarple wrote:

My mother was very strict concerning table manners as well as her siblings. We were taught at an early age how to behave at the table, which utensils to use, excuse yourself if leaving the table and always, spoke with normal voices.We were given a look if we were out in a restaurant at someones's home if we dared to misbehave. We said please and thank you and if we didn't like something, we did not say so.

I taught my children the same and did get complemented on all four of them and the same holds true today. My son's mother in law always thanks me when we see one another on his good manners. He still won't call her or her husband by their first names.

________

Your Son won't call his in laws by their first name?? 

Oh my goodness, my in law's are wonderful, warm loving people, who would be so hurt, if their children's spouses, were so formal and standoffish. How do you have a sense of family calling them Mr. and Mrs.?

Lovely manners are great, but,  I want people who are sharing my company, to be relaxed, be themselves, and have a wonderful time!

Of all the things that might upset me, how they cut their meat, wouldn't make the list😉

Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting observation of manners at dinner-there is hope for the youth of tomorrow!

@Suhse wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

My mother was very strict concerning table manners as well as her siblings. We were taught at an early age how to behave at the table, which utensils to use, excuse yourself if leaving the table and always, spoke with normal voices.We were given a look if we were out in a restaurant at someones's home if we dared to misbehave. We said please and thank you and if we didn't like something, we did not say so.

I taught my children the same and did get complemented on all four of them and the same holds true today. My son's mother in law always thanks me when we see one another on his good manners. He still won't call her or her husband by their first names.

________

Your Son won't call his in laws by their first name?? 

Oh my goodness, my in law's are wonderful, warm loving people, who would be so hurt, if their children's spouses, were so formal and standoffish. How do you have a sense of family calling them Mr. and Mrs.?

Lovely manners are great, but,  I want people who are sharing my company, to be relaxed, be themselves, and have a wonderful time!

Of all the things that might upset me, how they cut their meat, wouldn't make the list😉

My son adores his in laws and they feel the same way. I raised my kids to respect adults and did not approve of them calling any adult by their first names. Old fashioned to you or others but it's a sign of respect in my family. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

If I'd seen manners like that I think I would of cried. You are right the younger generation are so "casual" about everything or lazy. I think it's from spending to much time on the computer.

Cried? Really? Seriously? Over *good* manners? IMO, that would be an odd thing to cry about.

"Casual" in what way? Dress? Dining? Personal interaction?

The OP said nothing about "the younger generation" - you did. What, exactly, does using a computer have to do with being "casual" or "lazy?" What IS "casual" and why is it so bad? What is "lazy?"

Everyone has their own definitions of those words. People were born in, and live in, different parts of the country, and they don't all dress the same. People have executive jobs, clerical jobs, and they have various kinds of service jobs or factory/assembly jobs. Should they all wear suits and ties or dresses and heels or be deemed "lazy?" White gloves and hats? Should women wear dresses to do housework?

I am past retirement age, but I have never expected life, "manners" and customs to remain exactly the same as they were in my grandparents' day. The world has never been that way, and it has nothing to do with computers and everything to do with the passage of  *time.*

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

What a nice breath of fresh air.  You've done very good with your kids obviously and it's all stuck with them.  Apparently the visitors have been raised well too.  Their parents too would be proud.