Frequent Contributor

Re: Interesting encounter at the grocery store today

DH does the shopping and I know he would want his change. Both of us have always saved our change in a huge jug.

If I had been in the same position, I would request my change.  I would stop and ask why this cashier was asking about my change. At least I would know if it was for a good cause. Still would want my change.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Respected Contributor

Maybe I would like to donate my groceries but keep the change.  

An awful policy and not theirs to take upon themselves with someone else's money - cash or coin.  

It should always go back to the customer so they can place it into the chairty jar themselves.  It has worked that way for years.  

Respected Contributor

hyRe: Interesting encounter at the grocery store today

Why wasn't the manager given an earful or for that matter...the cashier?

The OP is no shrinking violet and is darn proud when she can rip someone a new one.

Something stinks and it ain't the cheese.

Honored Contributor

I was telling my DH about this while we had dinner and he said he has noticed the quality of the employees at that store has gone down.They are NOT collecting for any charity.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I was telling my DH about this while we had dinner and he said he has noticed the quality of the employees at that store has gone down.They are NOT collecting for any charity.

Then report the cashier to the store manager.

I've shopped in stores where they've asked if you'd like to donate your change (coins) to a charity.

Honored Contributor

@151949

I know that when I pay with cash and am expecting change, I open my coin section to put the change in.  Many times the cashier thinks I am going to give them exact change, so they will stop and ask me if I am giving them the XXX cents.

I feel like I confuse cashiers by doing this.

I should stop paying cash ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I would like to know what the OP bought for dinner, for $7.46......

Honored Contributor

now this really off the charts. Could the cashier be disabled learner.  I am trying to be delicate.  I have a grandson who is autistic and know about slow learners.

The donating to charities  is also a great possibility.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I went to pick up a few things for our dinner and the total came to $7.46. I handed the cashier a $10 bill. She asked if I wanted the $7.46 taken from the $10, and I said yes then she asked if I wanted any change.I said pardon me , and she repeated very loud and slowly "Do you want your change?" I said Of course and she gave me the change. I know I was probably looking at her like she had 2 heads but I've never had a cashier ask me if I want my change. Wouldn't they ASSUME they are suppose to give the customer her change? Do people tip cashiers at grocery stores their change now?I looked at the man in line behind me and he shrugged, but he told her upfront he wanted his change.

This would be my face.

Image result for um that would be a yes meme

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

it's not just grocery stores - it's everywhere here!

For example, we went to dinner at a restaurant we frequent often & husband said " Wow all NEW faces here?" Meaning waitresses/waiters.

She brought our bill. We were paying w/cc - he got up she asked me "do you want to round up?" (Which would have been 93 cents) I said "NO!" -- so I saw manager and told her what she asked. Manager answer "oh, she must have thought you were putting her tip on cc & the corp. takes 3% off the tip amount". What????? Too bad for them - I left cash for her tip! (And honestly not 20% I normally leave!) I was annoyed!!!!!

(When I got home I checked my cc just to make sure she only charged my account the correct amount)

I find it happens mostly at restaurants lately here! That change adds up fast!