Honored Contributor

Interesting encounter at the grocery store today

I went to pick up a few things for our dinner and the total came to $7.46. I handed the cashier a $10 bill. She asked if I wanted the $7.46 taken from the $10, and I said yes then she asked if I wanted any change.I said pardon me , and she repeated very loud and slowly "Do you want your change?" I said Of course and she gave me the change. I know I was probably looking at her like she had 2 heads but I've never had a cashier ask me if I want my change. Wouldn't they ASSUME they are suppose to give the customer her change? Do people tip cashiers at grocery stores their change now?I looked at the man in line behind me and he shrugged, but he told her upfront he wanted his change.

Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting encounter at the grocery store today

That is very bizarre!

Honored Contributor

Bizarre. Have to tell ya, when someone asks me "do you want XZY" and I do, I answer with "Why wouldn't I?"  This puts them in the position of explaining to me what they're talking about.

In your situation, this would have been the perfect answer because we ALL want to know what the heck she meant by that!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I went to pick up a few things for our dinner and the total came to $7.46. I handed the cashier a $10 bill. She asked if I wanted the $7.46 taken from the $10, and I said yes then she asked if I wanted any change.I said pardon me , and she repeated very loud and slowly "Do you want your change?" I said Of course and she gave me the change. I know I was probably looking at her like she had 2 heads but I've never had a cashier ask me if I want my change. Wouldn't they ASSUME they are suppose to give the customer her change? Do people tip cashiers at grocery stores their change now?I looked at the man in line behind me and he shrugged, but he told her upfront he wanted his change.

It is possible that the store is participating in some fund raiser.  The Wal-Mart around here are asking if you would want to donate your change (coins) to Rainbow Children's Hospitals.  They ring it right up through the register.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

You always have the most "interesting" encounters. Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

My question is where would the money go. Where they having a donate your change to a charity ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Some stores now ask that because of United Way, Food Banks, etc.  Rite Aid if you have their plenti card does it automatically.  But rounding up would have been to $8.00 with $2.00 change back.  In Canada, they no longer have pennies and round up or down so as not to have to deal with them.  Of course, you could give them 10 cents in pennies, but they'd probably refuse it. JMO.

Helen852
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy is probabaly right.  But of couse the cashier should have asked it that way.  "Would you like to donate your change to XYZ Foundaton?"

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@151949  Why not ask her why she asked you that?  Must some charity bla bla bla event. Or the store is going broke begging for money?

Honored Contributor

Just where do you shop?