Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting development in fish tank cleaner death

Given that Gary Lenius died based on something his wife instigated it probably does make sense to have police ask her what happened in a more formal setting. Her story never made much sense and makes even less knowing that Gary was a fairly well educated person not prone to doing reckless things, as per reports.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Given that Gary Lenius died based on something his wife instigated it probably does make sense to have police ask her what happened in a more formal setting. Her story never made much sense and makes even less knowing that Gary was a fairly well educated person not prone to doing reckless things, as per reports.

I was just adding what I thought was important; otherwise, it's a bit incomplete and sounds more as if they have already deemed her guilty -- which she very well may be.

@MorningLover 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a tragic waste considering the promotion of this chemical turned out to be fake news.

Edited to add: I hate to imagine any attempted or completed muders occuring these days that include ingesting household cleaner. Poison control has been fielding lots of questions and some actual incidents related to those reports. Some of those occurances or inquiries may be nefarious as well. Or people (deliberately?) overdosing on any of the quack remedies floating around. Can't be too careful indeed.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

it is being investigated by Mesa Az PD. I live in AZ and it's all over the news. I suspected her all along. Wife has mental health issues and has threatened to kill him before. 

Honored Contributor

There is probably more to this story than we will ever know. Sad from every angle though.
Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Mesa City PD opens investigation into death of Gary Lenius whose wife, Wanda, said she served him a deadly cocktail to ward off coronavirus. 

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosph...

Always grateful for the Free Beacon -- because that's what it is.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

The Mesa City Police Department's homicide division is investigating the death of Gary Lenius, the Arizona man whose wife served him soda mixed with fish tank cleaner in what she claimed was a bid to fend off the coronavirus.

A detective handling the case confirmed the investigation to the Washington Free Beacon on Tuesday after requesting a recording of the Free Beacon's interviews with Lenius's wife, Wanda. Gary Lenius, 68, died on March 22. Wanda, 61, told several news outlets last month that both she and her husband had ingested a substance used to clean aquariums after hearing Pres. tout one of its ingredients, chloroquine phosphate.

Detective Teresa Van Galder, the homicide detective handling the case for the Mesa City Police Department, confirmed that the investigation is ongoing but declined to provide additional details. "As this is an active investigation, I cannot go into any details at this time regarding the case," Van Galder said. The Free Beacon provided a recording of its interview last month with Wanda Lenius.

News of the police probe comes after a series of Free Beacon stories raised questions about the portrayal of the couple in the initial NBC report that vaulted the story onto the national stage.

Though that report and others suggested the couple mindlessly followed the president's medical advice to disastrous results, friends of Gary Lenius told the Free Beacon they were skeptical he would knowingly ingest fish tank treatment.

Rather, they described Lenius as a levelheaded retired engineer and recounted a troubled marital relationship that included a previous domestic assault charge against his wife, of which she was ultimately found not guilty. 

"What bothers me about this is that Gary was a very intelligent man, a retired [mechanical] engineer who designed systems for John Deere in Waterloo, Iowa, and I really can't see the scenario where Gary would say, ‘Yes, please, I would love to drink some of that Koi fish tank cleaner,'" one of his close friends told the Free Beacon. "It just doesn't make any sense."

Another source, who asked that all identifying information be withheld, told the Free Beacon earlier this month that Wanda Lenius "would constantly berate Gary in public.… Everyone was embarrassed for him, but he outwardly did not seem to care much."

"In our opinion, their marriage was seen outwardly to be as one-sided as a marriage possibly could be: Gary worshiped Wanda," this person said, adding that his wife "would routinely call him a doofus" and humiliate him in public. Wanda Lenius was charged with domestic abuse assault in 2001 after she allegedly hit her husband and swung a mounted birdhouse at him. Gary Lenius declined to cooperate in the case, testifying that he was not injured or placed in fear of injury. His wife was exonerated.

~freebeacon

@MorningLoverand this: "Mesa City police declined to comment on the investigation but told the paper that the probe was “normal protocol” for non-natural deaths and noted that the case has not been ruled a homicide “at this time.”

Of course the death hasn't yet been ruled a homicide -- that's why the investigation is ongoing.