Valued Contributor

Interesting Study of 1200 Children Worldwide

ages 5- 12, 1/3 secular, 2/3 religious, finds that the religious group is less generous, and more prone to judgement and vengeance.  However, the parents of these children view them as more accepting and sensitive to the plight of others.

Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World was published in leading Scientific journal Current Biology this week. A statement issued by its authors reads:

“Overall, our findings … contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others. More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting Study of 1200 Children Worldwide

[ Edited ]

Studies among adults would be more revealing, as children grow up and often alter their childhood beliefs. My sense is that I know many people, both secular and religious, who are very compassionate. 

Children can be a lot more mean, esp. to other children who are in any way "different."

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

ages 5- 12, 1/3 secular, 2/3 religious, finds that the religious group is less generous, and more prone to judgement and vengeance.  However, the parents of these children view them as more accepting and sensitive to the plight of others.

Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World was published in leading Scientific journal Current Biology this week. A statement issued by its authors reads:

“Overall, our findings … contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others. More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

Those were interesting studies!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

I wanted to add that the religious group was comprised of Christian and Muslim children.

Super Contributor

I find the whole thing so sad...and yet not so surprising. I was raised in a religious family, but any more...the "us against them" divisiveness that is permeating our entire world, has found a strong foothold in many religions. For those that believe, no matter what name He's called in the different religions - what harms one of us...ultimately harms all of us. If the parents and adults in the community don't recognize this truth, neither will our children.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Honored Contributor

@MrsT wrote:

I find the whole thing so sad...and yet not so surprising. I was raised in a religious family, but any more...the "us against them" divisiveness that is permeating our entire world, has found a strong foothold in many religions. For those that believe, no matter what name He's called in the different religions - what harms one of us...ultimately harms all of us. If the parents and adults in the community don't recognize this truth, neither will our children.

Wonderfully said!

Honored Contributor

There have been many studies over the years showing the same results as this:

Study: Poor Are More Charitable Than The Wealthy

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129068241

Valued Contributor

When I read this, I couldn't help think about a woman I know with 6 children.  Very, very religious, homeschools the kids, limits the teenage boys to 3 minutes in the shower, bans secular tv, radio and music- though she and the kids post prolifically on FB and Instagram- and spends all their free time at the church.  I have never, ever, read such hateful FB posts as the posts I see her children make.  Particularly the boys.  The posts are filled with guns, violence and the worst kinds of commentary about the secular citizens of this country. I am not surprised at this study at all, just from knowing this family.

Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn, are you trying to make a point here?

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Maudelynn, are you trying to make a point here?

Whatever point is to be made, vs. discussion to be had, it is by the survey, not the OP.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all