Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,417
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@60sgirl wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@60sgirl, is that a new little puppy in your life that you're using for your avatar? Adorable!

 

I fell off my bike when I was 20, massive concussion with aphasia, etc., hit the pavement head first. Unconscious on the ambulance ride to the hospital. Chalk marks drawn on the pavement around my body. What made me feel the worst, though, was that they shaved half my hair off, all 22" of it. I looked like a knob when I went back to school that fall. After I recovered fully, a few months later, I haven't had any long-term repercussions. But I definitely don't want another one.


@MaggieMack that little sweetheart is currently in foster care waiting for some medical treatments but I am approved to adopt when all is good. Cute huh? 


@60sgirl not to pull this thread o/t but she is absolutely adorable.  May I ask what breed she is?  She has such a beautiful face, congratulations!  Heart

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,251
Registered: ‎11-24-2014

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@momtochloe wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@60sgirl, is that a new little puppy in your life that you're using for your avatar? Adorable!

 

I fell off my bike when I was 20, massive concussion with aphasia, etc., hit the pavement head first. Unconscious on the ambulance ride to the hospital. Chalk marks drawn on the pavement around my body. What made me feel the worst, though, was that they shaved half my hair off, all 22" of it. I looked like a knob when I went back to school that fall. After I recovered fully, a few months later, I haven't had any long-term repercussions. But I definitely don't want another one.


@MaggieMack that little sweetheart is currently in foster care waiting for some medical treatments but I am approved to adopt when all is good. Cute huh? 


@60sgirl not to pull this thread o/t but she is absolutely adorable.  May I ask what breed she is?  She has such a beautiful face, congratulations!  Heart


that's a baby corgi. A rescue group got her and some others from a puppy mill raid so right now there are some medical issues, but they are taking care of them, I have filled out all the paperwork and received approval for adoption. Hoping all goes well soon. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,417
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@60sgirl wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@60sgirl, is that a new little puppy in your life that you're using for your avatar? Adorable!

 

I fell off my bike when I was 20, massive concussion with aphasia, etc., hit the pavement head first. Unconscious on the ambulance ride to the hospital. Chalk marks drawn on the pavement around my body. What made me feel the worst, though, was that they shaved half my hair off, all 22" of it. I looked like a knob when I went back to school that fall. After I recovered fully, a few months later, I haven't had any long-term repercussions. But I definitely don't want another one.


@MaggieMack that little sweetheart is currently in foster care waiting for some medical treatments but I am approved to adopt when all is good. Cute huh? 


@60sgirl not to pull this thread o/t but she is absolutely adorable.  May I ask what breed she is?  She has such a beautiful face, congratulations!  Heart


that's a baby corgi. A rescue group got her and some others from a puppy mill raid so right now there are some medical issues, but they are taking care of them, I have filled out all the paperwork and received approval for adoption. Hoping all goes well soon. 


@60sgirl bless you for rescuing her and to the rescue group themselves . . . what a wonderful addition she will be to your family!  Heart

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...

My Dallas sports radio station, The Ticket 1310, interviews Tony Dorsett from time to time..and the topic of concussions is the primary focus.

 

Last December (2014) he was talking about his condition...how it affects him & his family. You could just tell, in the wavering tone of his voice...and when he pauses to choose his words...he's dealing with something pretty terrible.

 

Tony also talked about Depression setting in..."somedays I just can get so down on myself. It's very tough to deal with but I just have to keep going."
Wow.
Anyone listening?
Not a dry eye in the house.
So incredibly sad.

 

There's also an excellent article in D Magazine about Tony's condition.  

Here's the link:

 

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/february/dallas-cowboys-tony-dorsett-is-losing...

 

image.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,226
Registered: ‎06-16-2015

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...

[ Edited ]

Football is a brutal sport, though its British counterpart, Rugby, is supposed to be worse. Let's face it: most professional sports involve a certain degree of injuries. I thought hockey had a lot of injuries due to being on blades to begin with and also due to fights that seem to dominate the sport and usually involve the sticks they use. Soccer was just named to be a sport with brain injuries due to using the head to hit the ball, plus there are a lot of knees ruined on the field. I guess it's one of the risks you take when you go pro and get the big bucks. I have a friend whose daughter and two grand daughters were competitive swimmers. One has completely damaged her knee and even after many surgeries is not fixed up. One grand daughter ruinined her back swimming and the other one has had multiple shoulder surgeries. Even though swimming is not a violent sport, it's the repitition that causes the damage.  All three of them had full ride swimming scholarships in college.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,226
Registered: ‎06-16-2015

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@CardinalGirl wrote:
I've never seen a boxer come out of ONE fight unscathed, let alone every fight.

Oh my gosh, I forgot about boxing. Most of them have brain injuries, but some, like Sugar Ray Leonard had a detached retina which can end in total blindness. I thought he was done with boxing after that, but he still went back into the ring.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,417
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@sidsmom wrote:

My Dallas sports radio station, The Ticket 1310, interviews Tony Dorsett from time to time..and the topic of concussions is the primary focus.

 

Last December (2014) he was talking about his condition...how it affects him & his family. You could just tell, in the wavering tone of his voice...and when he pauses to choose his words...he's dealing with something pretty terrible.

 

Tony also talked about Depression setting in..."somedays I just can get so down on myself. It's very tough to deal with but I just have to keep going."
Wow.
Anyone listening?
Not a dry eye in the house.
So incredibly sad.

 

There's also an excellent article in D Magazine about Tony's condition.  

Here's the link:

 

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/february/dallas-cowboys-tony-dorsett-is-losing...

 

image.jpeg


This is so sad to read especially listening to him carefully pick his words as he speaks . . . I am so, so sorry this is happening to so many NFL players.

 

Thanks for posting this @sidsmom.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,291
Registered: ‎06-15-2015

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...


@RainCityWoman wrote:

 I thought hockey had a lot of injuries due to being on blades to begin with and also due to fights that seem to dominate the sport and usually involve the sticks they use. 

 

 

Not sure of your knowledge of hockey so I will set the record in this post straight. First------ Fights do not dominate hockey. That is something made up decades ago by those that knew nothing about the game. Say it enough and the media began to believe it.

 

I have watched Pro hockey since the 1940's, and fighting has never dominated this sport. Second----I have never/ever seen a hockey stick used in any fight, never! As you can see I do not like, or let false statements about the game I love and have lived for over 70 years, go unchallenged.

 

Anyone that would like to debate hockey? I will be more than happy to do so and separate FACT from FICTION when it comes to Professional Hockey.

 

 

hckynut(john)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Interesting Fact about the NFL...

Of course no response to my question from the OP although she's been all over the board posting.