Respected Contributor

Big increases to both homeowners and auto. This was the first time the renewal packets started with a warning about the large increase.

Super Contributor

I read recently to expect auto insurance prices to increase.

Each year before renewal time I ask my agent to shop around for the best company/price.  The cost is ridiculous for having a clean record, etc.

Honored Contributor

Whenever natural disasters happen anywhere, rates for homeowners ins goes up from coast to coast. It doesn't matter where you live. Hurricane in Florida will cause rates to go up in Kansas, for example.

Car ins is going up largely b/c of the cost of repairs to technology used in newer cars. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch    Some companies offer an immediate reward for automatic payments.  That tends to be at least as much as credit card points. 

Just this week as I went to charge a pair of shoes, I noticed a sign there would be a 3% surcharge.  My credit card doesn't pay 3% so I was happy to dig out the emergency $$$ I try to carry.   (Only orthopedic stores carry the shoe I need so shopping elsewhere isn't an option.)

Respected Contributor

Saw this on the news yesterday.  Saying that insurances have gone up in 2023 and will continue to do so in 2024.  I moved to where I live now 7 years ago.  It has gone up every year since moving.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, absolutely. We just received our homeowners, umbrella and car insurance bills. They went up $100.00 each policy! Granted I chose a top-tier insurance company, but the increase is quite high. We never put in claims either. My agent did say there were other companies to consider, but they're not well rated. So, I'm keeping our company for now. They sure did go up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our home owners policy only went up about $50 for the year....which I don't consider too bad. Had a bigger increase last year because the value of our home went way up and our policy is written to cover the value of our home.

Our car insurance actually went down because my husband can't drive anymore due to an injury.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Insurance has been climbing upwards for years.  I think we support our agent with State Farm.

We have two bundles to get a lower rate....not that much lower, IMO.

We insure our home, 4 cars, two RV's and two boats. Thankfully, whenever we have had a claim, it was paid with no issues.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a dismal outlook.  Try being here in CA where many insurance companies have just left or given up insuring for most things.  

Guess someone has to pay for the country's tornado, flood, fire, and hurricane losses.  FEMA doesn't do it all.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Oh, yeah!  All our policies have gone up!  (House, car, truck, boat, boat trailer, umbrella) How can my car now be $200 more every six months, when it is three years old come April with no tickets or accidents?  When I called to ask the agent about it, I was told it was because their price to replace/repair cars/homes had gone up.  She then told me I could install an app so that the company would know my/our driving record, and I was like, "No way."  Not because we're poor drivers, but I do not trust insurance companies to not use the information against us in some way.  That happened to a friend of mine whose rates went up after installing the tracking app, and the reason they gave was something that the app told them!  I don't remember what it was, but it was something that she wouldn't be given a ticket for and seemed innocuous, so no way, no how will I let an insurance company track me/us!  Supposedly, we would have gotten a discount (less than $50) per vehicle for having the app.  

So then I had them run rates with other companies that they represent.  Well, the company that we use (Farmer's) is their only "well-known" company.  When she ran the rates, she gave rates (which "were" cheaper) of lesser known companies, and when I read the reviews on them, they were awful.  We decided to stick with Farmer's for now, but all our policies come due next August, and I am shopping around as soon as we get our cost estimates in June.

Yeah, that app is not good.  This past summer I changed insurance companies because GEICO went through the roof.  That's without claims and a clean record.

I switched to AARP for half the price.  But they gave me a discount for installing the app.  I tried it out for a couple of weeks before I realized it could be more harm than good.  First of all it drains your phone battery.  Then it tracks everything about your trip, what route you take, speed, braking, time.  It's essentially spyware.  It tells where you go and how long you're there.  I deleted the app.  And I thought about it this weekend when I made a stop at the liquor store to get some supplies for Christmas.  I'm sure they would hold that against me.