Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr  - I completely agree with you. Once when I was shopping my insurance, a company agent said he was giving me a 15% (!) "loyalty" discount. Loyalty? I had never been their customer.

He explained, "You stayed with your last insurer for five years. That's loyalty. We're willing to pay a lot to get someone like you as a customer."

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3   @DesertLily

Picky's advice to get a broker is excellent !  They work with all insurance companies and are in a better position to  get you insurance with the least expensive company.

Our broker has saved us quite a lot over the years !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I've noticed that you get a low rate at first, on the third year it jumps up, alot.  I check around for rates with different companies every two to three years.

Esteemed Contributor

The discount rate for a renters policy is much less than for homeowners.  Basically you are insuring less and renters are considered "temporary",   Once you finish your home and insure that your discount should return.

Those beacons are designed to determine not only the miles you drive but how you drive (speeding, reckless etc).

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Same thing happened to a relative of mine abt 8 yrs ago  who had State Farm  who had a home, sold it then  moved in an apartment . She to, bought renters insurance  and had auto insurance. She was told her auto rate when up so much because she moved to  Baltimore which has a high crime rate.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I would not be so quick to leave State Farm after 40 years.   I have been with this company for 48 years and have ALWAYS been treated well.   

My mother made a huge mistake in leaving State Farm after my dad passed, and she sold one vehicle.   Instead of listening to me, she listened to my brother who is all about finding a cheaper way, which eventually wasn't.   

What you have described as far as losing your multi-line discount after selling your home, makes perfect sense to me.   Your discount will be reapplied once you move into the new house, and your auto insurance will be lowered.  It's a temporary thing.

State Farm sent mileage verification forms to my husband and I every 3 months for a full 18 months, which we turned in to our local agent.   It became a bit aggravating, so the last time we took the forms in, an employee came out to visually verify the mileage on my SUV, and said she would add a note, which apparently did something because we have not had to verify mileage on either vehicle for over a year.   

I too would not agree to installing any type of tracking device, but even this would not prompt me to think of leaving this company.  

Esteemed Contributor

No way we will ever have a tracking device on our car for insurance.

I feel it's to raise premiums  not to give a discount

How do you dispute any driving that they want to raise your premium? 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Desert Lily  Do not choose Farmers...no discount at all for low mileage driving...

@SeaMaiden 

that depends on where you live. my s/o gets mileage discounts in california with farmers. he recently switched his insurance after many years with nationwide.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

we have an insurance broker for both personal and business. i like that they deal with multiple insurance companies and can shop around for the best deal with the best coverage. we had had nationwide for our personal insurance for MANY years and switched over to ERIE insurance which had fantastic rates......so much better than nationwide in our area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

State Farm does not view renters as stable individuals.  Doesn't matter if it's your own house or not.

I have loved to hate State Farm and there's no reasoning with them,  your rep says they talk to the underwriters but I really don't think they do.  

I had 3 people in the last 10 years rear end me, no fault of my own yet my premium has tripled.   I asked for my policy to be renewed and my agent said "you know it could increase more if someone actually looked at it", and I said "you know chances are you are overcharging me and it could go down".

Loyalty doesn't do a bit of good with these people, when I decide to buy a new car, definitely will go out for quotes.  I got rid of them when I had my business/building and saved over $1200 a year.  

Hopefully you will be able to shop around, sometimes these independent guys that represent smaller companies turn out the best.