Valued Contributor

I bought an Instant Pot and am just learning how to cook in it. Yesterday I made a shredded cabbage casserole. When I looked up after a while, the Instant Pot had "burn" on the panel. Does anyone know what this means? The pot didn't really come with much by way of instruction. 

The pot was full (not over full) and there seemed to be enough liquid in it. It was sticking a little to the bottom but not a huge amount

Maybe means turn the temp down?

Respected Contributor

I think it means it needs liquid.  You might want to get the cookbook for it.  I got that when I got the Pot for my DIL.  Maybe there is something on youtube.

Valued Contributor

@Quse wrote:

I bought an Instant Pot and am just learning how to cook in it. Yesterday I made a shredded cabbage casserole. When I looked up after a while, the Instant Pot had "burn" on the panel. Does anyone know what this means? The pot didn't really come with much by way of instruction. 

The pot was full (not over full) and there seemed to be enough liquid in it. It was sticking a little to the bottom but not a huge amount

Maybe means turn the temp down?

I had the same experience.. and after a lot of googling I found out the problem was that I used  SAUTE first..  The small pieces of meat that stuck to the pot were interpreted as burned food.   They recommend that if you use SAUTE,  you need to put more liquid into the pot and scrape the pieces that stick before you do any pressure cooking.  Not as convenient as I expected.

Esteemed Contributor

I just bought an Instant Pot - so def no expert; but here's what my first thought was after reading your posting............BURN word might be telling you that your food is too hot or not enough liquid and is starting to BURN.  Perhaps release the pressure and check the liquid level - add another cup of 2 of water.

I don't know if your casserole was just in the metal pot or if you had the food in an over proof dish.  Go to you tube is a good suggestion - I haven't experienced BURN message; but really think it was 'talking' to you.  Pls post back here what you find what the reason was - we're all just learned.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Quse,   If you are on facebook join the instant pot groups there,   There are several.  They share tips and recipes .  Beware of Pinterest, not all of those are good.

I agree with the others, after saute` they reccomend deglazing the pot with water or broth to clean the pot and add the reccomended (at least one cup of liquid ) to bring the pot to pressure.   

If you are hooked up to your local library , instant pot cook books are available there and online.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to make sure you have enough liquid in the pot before you start cooking. Usually 1 cup is good.

Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Quse,   If you are on facebook join the instant pot groups there,   There are several.  They share tips and recipes .  Beware of Pinterest, not all of those are good.

I agree with the others, after saute` they reccomend deglazing the pot with water or broth to clean the pot and add the reccomended (at least one cup of liquid ) to bring the pot to pressure.   

If you are hooked up to your local library , instant pot cook books are available there and online.

Thank you you for this information @esmeraldagooch!