Esteemed Contributor

Re: Instant Coffee or Brewed Coffee?

Store bought ice coffee is my drink of choice. No certain brand though. Whatever is on sale. Bottle or carton I love it all!

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Brewed, with a Melitta cone and carafe. They have cones for mugs up to multi-cup pots and filters run from size #1 to 6. All the waste (paper filter and grounds) is biodegradable.

When pour-over coffee was the rage many years ago, Melitta was the poor man's answer to Chemex, which most of the people I knew used at the time. Eventually the leather thongs on the Chemex gave way and the wooden hand protectors fell apart, and people who weren't hard-core coffee lovers switched to Mr. Coffee. The rest of us tried the French press method (Melior, now usually Bodum), but cleanup was messy, and then the bad news came out about the possibility that unfiltered coffee raised cholesterol levels.

Back to Melitta, with its neat disposable filters and great, fresh coffee (assuming that's what you put in the filter). To me, instant coffee is to brewed what Tang is to squeezed orange juice. There's just no comparison.

@noodleann, takes me back to our early days of marriage. We loved that Chemex, and I'm pretty sure that we kept it. Beautifully designed:

Eight Cup Handblown CHEMEX®

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid it was instant.  I drink brewed coffee Starbucks Verona.  I use to grind the beans but no longer as I did not taste a big difference.  My coffeemaker is Bonavita and makes an excellent cup of coffee.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Save your grounds ,and put into your flower gardens.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brewed for me, or it's thank you, but no thanks.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

i brew coffee for ice coffee all the time. my mother inlaw down stairs makes expresso.i prefer american coffee but i think the expresso has a much better smell while its brewing. i have never tried instant coffee.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I put sweetener and creamer in my coffee so I wouldn't know a good cup from a bad.  We don't use instant, though.  My husband drinks it black and he'll comment sometimes that so-and-so has great coffee; it all tastes the same to me :-) 

I learned to drink my coffee black and had it that way for many years, but developed stomach issues with the acid in coffee, so started using a little cream(er), a little sugar to balance that. If you buy darker roasts with “legs”, you can definitely still taste the good, unique taste of that coffee - but it wouldn’t work with light roasts or coffee made weak. I typically buy espresso roast, dark roasts or medium-full-bodied roasts, and they all have distinctive tastes to me even with creamer and sweetener. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Yes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a coffee brat, not a snob as I'll drink what is available when I must but here at home I have a Breville coffee maker that grinds the beans and is excellent at turning out the richest deepest most wonderful cup I've been able to make otherwise.  It's a PITA to keep the chute clear as it clogs easily from fresh oils in the beans but I think all of the self-grinders need that special attention.  Still, the best coffee so far.

I can make a batch of cold brew concentrate that is delicious in a different way, cold or hot, but it's aother kind of PITA.  It takes a lot of grinding and waiting.  Am eyeing that KitchenAid cold brew maker, might be easier.

Can't do instant unless a storm knocked out the power, water heated over a camp stove.  Then I'm grateful for it!

Honored Contributor

I never really have to use it.  I have a keurig and I love that!  However, my brother lives in a boarding home, and they will not serve caffinated coffee.  It is decaf, and only at breakfast.  My brother is a coffeeholic, but it is not good for him with his meds.   Soooooo, I do buy him instant to use.  Since he would drink it all up in a day, I have settled on the folgers "tea bag"like coffee.  I give him a few, and it seems to work out .  Better.  I tasted it and it is not bad.  It has a great aroma, and doesnt really have a thick instant coffee taste to it.  The other one I tried is srarbucks instant, in those little Conical packets.  It is good, but strong!!!!  Also, it tastes more instant to me than the Folgers "tea bag"coffee