Super Contributor

Re: Instant Coffee or Brewed Coffee?

Nespresso machine, the coffee is awesome!

Respected Contributor

The best coffee is brewed one cup at a time (ground fresh from beans) and the Europeans are very good at it. If you rent apartments there most have the single cup cone. Melita is just one brand, not THE brand for the cone. Some are ceramic but most are brown plastic that just fit the top of a cup. 

Senseo is a one cup coffee maker very popular there with paper filter pods for one cup. No plastic pods to be found. 

They only have one very good cup of coffee, not a pot anywhere. (And no refills in restaurants.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

The best coffee is brewed one cup at a time (ground fresh from beans) and the Europeans are very good at it. If you rent apartments there most have the single cup cone. Melita is just one brand, not THE brand for the cone. Some are ceramic but most are brown plastic that just fit the top of a cup. 

Senseo is a one cup coffee maker very popular there with paper filter pods for one cup. No plastic pods to be found. 

They only have one very good cup of coffee, not a pot anywhere. (And no refills in restaurants.)

Well, I will disagree.  Melitta HAS been THE brand for a long time. It doesn't use any kind of "pods" and it IS one cup at a time.  Just fresh ground coffee and hot water with an unbleached filter.  You can have your "pods".

Honored Contributor

Definitely brewed, but percolated to be more specific.  I will drink coffee from the Keurig and sometimes French pressed too.  Instant?  Never.  Don't even bother offering it to me.  

Honored Contributor

Brewed. 

Pods annoy me. 

I used to have instant espresso coffee on hand for baking during the holidays but haven't bought any in years.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Keurig coffee for us, DH uses a really strong blend and I use a Mocha one

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Brewed coffee for me. I replace my Keurig with an iCoffee single serve coffee maker a couple years ago & it makes a much better cup of coffee. I was pleasantly surprised. 

I like Starbucks Pike Place at home. 

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean!  Sometimes all the clean-up seems a hassle.  I prefer brewed coffee, but nothing fancy, just a regular Mr. Coffee or something similar.  I used to buy a double pot all the time since DH drinks regular and I have to have decaf, but they are much more expensive than the regular ones and one was always blowing out.  So, now I just buy the one pot ones.  DH has to have his Maxwell House every morning before he can move or utter a word.  Since I still work every day, I just wait until I get to work and then put a pot on there.  I usually have 3 cups with unsweetened almond milk.  Generally speaking, I like plain old coffee and I don't like it very strong.  Occasionally I will drink a cup with a fancy creamer --- not often.

On weekends, since DH has the pot in use, I keep a jar of instant coffee for me --- decaf.  It doesn't tast all that great but it's better than nothing!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Brewed, with a Melitta cone and carafe. They have cones for mugs up to multi-cup pots and filters run from size #1 to 6. All the waste (paper filter and grounds) is biodegradable.

When pour-over coffee was the rage many years ago, Melitta was the poor man's answer to Chemex, which most of the people I knew used at the time. Eventually the leather thongs on the Chemex gave way and the wooden hand protectors fell apart, and people who weren't hard-core coffee lovers switched to Mr. Coffee. The rest of us tried the French press method (Melior, now usually Bodum), but cleanup was messy, and then the bad news came out about the possibility that unfiltered coffee raised cholesterol levels.

Back to Melitta, with its neat disposable filters and great, fresh coffee (assuming that's what you put in the filter). To me, instant coffee is to brewed what Tang is to squeezed orange juice. There's just no comparison.

Respected Contributor

I put sweetener and creamer in my coffee so I wouldn't know a good cup from a bad.  We don't use instant, though.  My husband drinks it black and he'll comment sometimes that so-and-so has great coffee; it all tastes the same to me :-)