Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Coffee or Brewed Coffee?

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7, I used Melitta drip for many years. It makes excellent coffee.

Maybe it's a CA thing, @Moonchilde  Back in the day, everyone I knew made Melitta.  I might have gone on to more complex methods but DH never drank coffee over the years and neither does our daughter.  All of a sudden, a couple of years ago, he became a connoisseur.  He likes to hang out with the coffee roaster, try new samples, pick one to bring home.

Better than hanging out at a bar, I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Maybe it's a CA thing, @Moonchilde  Back in the day, everyone I knew made Melitta.  I might have gone on to more complex methods but DH never drank coffee over the years and neither does our daughter.  All of a sudden, a couple of years ago, he became a connoisseur.  He likes to hang out with the coffee roaster, try new samples, pick one to bring home.

@Noel7, you do know that there are 24 hours in a day; right? :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

LOL ;-)

I definitely remember when using a Melitta became a “thing” and everyone was doing it. Quick, easy & makes good coffee. I think it was when people started learning about European coffee drinking and got more into espresso and darker roasts. It wasn’t long after that Starbucks started blossoming everywhere. People don’t always know that Melitta also makes coffee.

The downsides for me were the time it took to boil the water, dealing with coffee grounds, often needing to reheat the coffee. But you sure didn’t need fancy paraphernalia to make it.

Keurig was so made for single coffee drinkers like me. I can try a variety of roasts, blends and companies as far as coffee, and also have hot chocolate, hot cider, and chai as well as other tea, all without being wasteful for one person. 

I once did the Gevalia mail-order thing, but honestly thought the coffee I received from them was pretty blah. Well, Starbucks isn’t blah, but I won’t drink it except as iced or frappuccino. I love the Illy K cups.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7, you do know that there are 24 hours in a day; right? :-)

Indeed I do Smiley Happy  I figured it was time for a little levity.  I like to tease him, he's nearby making us veg sandwiches and coffee for lunch.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

LOL ;-)

I definitely remember when using a Melitta became a “thing” and everyone was doing it. Quick, easy & makes good coffee. I think it was when people started learning about European coffee drinking and got more into espresso and darker roasts. It wasn’t long after that Starbucks started blossoming everywhere. People don’t always know that Melitta also makes coffee.

The downsides for me were the time it took to boil the water, dealing with coffee grounds, often needing to reheat the coffee. But you sure didn’t need fancy paraphernalia to make it.

Keurig was so made for single coffee drinkers like me. I can try a variety of roasts, blends and companies as far as coffee, and also have hot chocolate, hot cider, and chai as well as other tea, all without being wasteful for one person. 

I once did the Gevalia mail-order thing, but honestly thought the coffee I received from them was pretty blah. Well, Starbucks isn’t blah, but I won’t drink it except as iced or frappuccino. I love the Illy K cups.

@Moonchilde

Everything you said is true.  Wow, a thought for your CA line: we really do have our own CA cultural memories.  From SoCal to Northern Cal.  We will have to explore this.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer it brewed for breakfast, I just brew 2 cups. In the evenings if I want coffee, I use my Keurig. 

Trusted Contributor

I’m enjoying my Caribou brewed coffee with pumpkin creamer right now. I usually use the unbleached filters. I recently bought a permanent filter that can be rinsed out. I had read that people loved the flavor of their coffee better with this filter. I thought, how could it be any better. Let me tell you, it is better. 

Any time there is coffee left over it gets put in a pitcher in the fridge for iced coffee, like some others said. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

If you love the flavor of coffee, you drink a quality brand, either whole beans or ground, and drink it black, no sugar.

NO INSTANT COFFEE OR FROU-FROU SUGARED UP BLEND -- EVAR!

I love coffee and don't know what you consider a quality brand, (I drink Folgers decaf( and I heaven forbid, put tiny amount of cream in it.  I make a darn good cup of coffee and it works for us.    Can't stand instant.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I only make 2 cups of coffee for myself every morning - and I purchased the 4 cup Farberware percolator (makes 2 large cups) from Bed/Bath - and I don't have any leftover coffee. They had to order this size for me as they don't carry it in their store. My favorite coffee beans are Starbucks Dark French Roast - which I buy from Costco. I have also purchased different brands of coffee beans and grind both together. I drink it black.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like instant.   I like 2, sometimes 3 cups of really good, strong, black coffee in the morning.   It can be espresso, brewed, Keurig, French press or Melitta drip as long as it's really good.   

Around 10 a.m.  my coffee buds shut off and it doesn't appeal to me at all.  I never drink it after 10 or so in the morning.  Never at night.  Never with food (except breakfast).   

Don't even think about iced coffee.   Gross.   Don't want coffee ice cream or coffee liqueur or coffee candy.   Nothing coffee flavored, ever.  EEEWWWW.  Just hot black coffee in the morning.