Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Coffee or Brewed Coffee?

@spot555 wrote:

I make mine in a coffee press, using whole organic beans that I grind before each use. It makes the most delicious coffee I've ever tasted (guests think so, too!). Smiley Happy

@spot555  That sounds really good!👍

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Folgers instant with caffeine is my choice. Wife picks up a Starbucks on occasion for me. Even their weakest brew, I cut in half and get 2 of my 16oz. mugs. Tastes just right for me diluted.

My 2nd home, the hospital has great coffee and when I know I will be going there, or even close by, I take my mug and drop in just to fill it up.

My very favorite outside the home are the free kind from the hospital, can't justify spending a couple bucks for a mug of joe.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love brewed coffee-----my most fave is perked coffee. ( I may break down and buy a percolater one day) I also warm up almond milk for my coffee----- its never too hot for hot coffee in the morning. My Dad always says that (lol).

I have a French Press as well. I use it sometimes and have made good cold brew coffee in it.

If I have leftover coffee I save it --- either for iced coffee in the afternoon or I reheat the next day. I always think that great passage in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" when Francie pours her coffee down the drain and Mama lets her. Francies loves the warmth of the coffee cup and how it smells but doesn't drink it.

Respected Contributor

Brewed for me 

Honored Contributor

never aquired a taste for coffee but my husband drinks it all the time/

it has to be fresh brewed. NO more instant for him. That was the #1 item on his NO NO list of food never to touch again. Kidney stones can be caused by instant coffee, so he had to stop his favorite vanilla flavored instant coffee.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't drink coffee but my husband does. The only instant we have in our house is instant espresso for dessert recipes from Barefoot Contessa (Mocha Chocolate Icebox Cake, delicious).

I don't know any coffee drinkers if given the choice who pick instant over brewed. My husband is one of those coffee drinkers who is really into the right beans and the right coffee maker. He wasn't always like that but after staying at one of our friends for the weekend who had this expensive Italian coffee machine, he really loved it so much more and got one. He also likes beans from certain places. I have no idea how it tastes compared to others but it must be good because when we have guest over and they drink it, they too want the beans and machine he has. 

I wish I liked coffee. I love the smell of it so much and I think all the different flavored creamers just sound so good but after trying it many different times, I just don't like it. I have never really wanted to like a food or drink like I do coffee.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

No instant for me. I don’t drink coffee every day, but DH does. We have a Keurig and just love it. We also used to waste a lot of coffee with a traditional coffee maker. 

We also use one of our French presses occasionally. It makes a different coffee. Stronger and more robust. 

I also love cold brewed coffee. I had been buying the cold brew concentrat from TJ’s until I found a cold brewer at Costco. You just put in your own coarse grind beans into the center mesh part, fill with water and put in fridge for 24 hours. It came with a separate carafe to pour the brew into. I always mix my coffee, hot or cold, with almond milk. I only like TJ’s.

I had a bunch of people over last year for the Holidays and I made Pioneer Womans cold brew coffee recipe (it makes a lot) and everyone who was into cold brew loved it. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

Cold brew is so good! It get so hot in the summer up here and often I just can’t drink a hot coffee. I love to sip a nice cold brew with a little sweet and almond milk. 

Today it it is so cold here. I am having a sugar free caramel apple cider. In keeping with the fall theme!

Honored Contributor

IMO, people who routinely drink instant coffee do so just to drink something warm out of habit, not because they actually need, want or appreciate coffee as a beverage.  You could just as easily drink Hot Anything or consume a Red Bull if caffeine is desired. And I’m not saying this is a bad thing - but IMO drinking instant coffee isn’t providing what coffee drinkers enjoy - the taste of a good coffee bean properly brewed. Coffees are many and varied, with distinct differences in flavor. Instant coffee tastes like one thing - instant coffee - a drink by itself, often not bearing much relation in taste to brewed coffee.

I’m not a coffee snob. I don’t grind my own beans fresh for each cup and buy the weirdest of the weird variety just so I can say I did, brew at a precise temperature for so many minutes, etc.

Before I got a Keurig, I did grind my own beans in a coffeemaker that had a grinder, but I’m happy with the Keurig and the variety of coffees/tastes it gives me. I enjoy good brewed coffee in restaurants. I like the taste of coffee.

When I was working or traveling, I tried the Starbuck’s Via coffee, which is part instant, part finely ground coffee dust. To me it’s better than a jar of mainstream instant coffee, but not a whole lot better.

I’m not trying to diss those who drink instant coffee, I just don’t consider them coffee lovers as in appreciating the variety of tastes of different coffee beans.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@withaK, its probably been 50 years since I read that book, and I still remember that scene!  I recall it, every now and then. Thanks for the memory!