Honored Contributor

Re: Instacart Workers Plan Strike On Monday

[ Edited ]

"....often delivering food to sick people in quarantine..."

How do they know that?

And this is a credit/debit card transaction only, correct?

Do they directly handle cash?

Even though these stories touch our emotions on some level,

their profession is no different than a million other essential 

workers out there on the 'front line.'

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looking ahead to when this crisis is over and the temporary pay increases end I can't help but wonder how are employees (not just Instacart employees but others also) that are getting temporary increased/bonus pay going to feel when their income returns to pre-crisis levels.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@iwrite wrote:

wow!
good for them.

there is no law in the usa that can force people to work.
if there was, most people would not have been sent home.

duh!

legally, they are not employees.
gig workers fall into a different category from 'employees'.

yes, people with disabilities need groceries.
able bodied people can fend for themselves.

if it was 2000, how would people get groceries?
by that i mean, in 2000, there was no instacart, so what would you do?

if you think these people should go to work without the minuscule things that they are asking for, for protection, perhaps, you should apply for one of the 300,000 openings to get a real feel for what they are going through.

your life is no more valuable then theirs.
what the selfishness is going on?

@iwrite 

They are considered "contractors" which a lot of businesses are using in this day and age...learn the terminology....

So you'd rather have hundreds of additional people descend on these grocery stores and increase the odds of people contracting the virus  ..  Last night around 9PM a friend thought perhaps the grocery store lines would have gone down at that time....WRONG...the lines snaked around the building and there are several stores in the area that had that same problem AND YOU WANT TO ADD MORE PEOPLE TO THESE LINES!!!....  Store deliveries arent just for those on disabilities or the aged....it helps reduce the number of people that venture out to the store....

YES, the Instacart workers should be protected and the company, not the workers, should pay for things like hand sanitizers, gloves, etc and be paid leave should they get sick....BUT to say that except for those with disabilities, "everyone should fend for themselves" is wrong....And looking back in time is SILLY.....this is a new day and age and this is a NEW VIRUS that doesnt behave like previous strains in the past with NO VACCINE!!!! ANYONE can get the virus....several people here that got the virus were young under 30 and were considered HEALTHY.  "This idea that this is an illness for grandma and grandpa doesn't hold water. We're seeing lots of young adults get very sick," said Dr. Peter Hotez. dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine. He told CBS Austin that younger people are not immune to severe disease or even death. It's not just the matter of protecting your parents or your grandparents," he said.  

And having everyone fend for themselves will just add to the CHAOS!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Spurt 

hmmmm,
seems like you missed the point that i was making.

in most parts of the country, gig workers and contractors mean or refer to the same type of worker and are categorized that same way. so if you are stuck on terminology, that's on you. obviously you understood EXACTLY what i meant, otherwise you would have not made the comment that you did.

your comment of "ANYONE can get the virus" is exactly what i mean.

i never said that this is an illness for people of a certain age. people of all ages can get it.

the point that i was making is that "some" people feel that it's okay for someone else to get in harms way and possibly get infected, so that they don't have to get in harms way, as if their life was far more important then the person that will get their groceries. it's the "thought" that some think they are better then others that is problematic.

if they do go on strike, then what will people do?

Honored Contributor

@iwrite wrote:

@Spurt 

hmmmm,
seems like you missed the point that i was making.

in most parts of the country, gig workers and contractors mean or refer to the same type of worker and are categorized that same way. so if you are stuck on terminology, that's on you. obviously you understood EXACTLY what i meant, otherwise you would have not made the comment that you did.

your comment of "ANYONE can get the virus" is exactly what i mean.

i never said that this is an illness for people of a certain age. people of all ages can get it.

the point that i was making is that "some" people feel that it's okay for someone else to get in harms way and possibly get infected, so that they don't have to get in harms way, as if their life was far more important then the person that will get their groceries. it's the "thought" that some think they are better then others that is problematic.

if they do go on strike, then what will people do?

@iwrite 

You miss my point---without delivery you are adding the probability of MORE PEOPLE catching the virus....

If instant Cart goes on strike---other cities have many other options too....These are the ones in our area

Shipt-

Favor -

Delivery Unlimited-

There's also curbside so at least you dont have to go in the store....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Spurt 

again, why is your life is more important then an instacart delivery persons?

that was my point.

Honored Contributor

I have ordered thru instacart times and it is only a supermarket employee who delivers is, so I am confused by the whole instacart thing

I thought instacart just handles the orders and it is fulfilled by the local markets

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I’ve never heard of Instacart orders pulled or delivered by store employees. Definitely not here in SoCal. They work for Instacart and make hardly any money.
Respected Contributor

Can't even get a delivery time around here.  I do porchless contact so they have no contact with me.  I take each item and wipe down with bleach wipe or wash produce in soap and water.  It is a bit disturbing that they aren't wearing gloves while picking and packing and delivering.  If they aren't carefull after the plague passes demand will dramatically drop and many wont have a job.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@iwrite wrote:

@Spurt 

again, why is your life is more important then an instacart delivery persons?

that was my point.

@iwrite 

You seem to keep changing the subject---from what would I do without delivery, which I provided answers, now we are on to something else.....

No one FORCED them to take the Instacart job, they took it because they need the job and the money. So until or IF the company agrees to bear the expense, its also their responsibility to make the difficult decision to decide to pay for gloves, sanitizers, soap etc to protect themselves....And it seems from the bare shelves of these products that almost EVERYONE is buying these things and has them on hand due to the pandemic even if they are not employed by Instacart..

Question back at YOU ---is your life more valuable than the grocery store cashiers (that have to be there to monitor the store limitations on certain products, the grocery store stockers (hired at minimum wage to fill the extra need to keep stores stocked), grocery store managers or other employees????? And lets add the healthcare workers--doctors/nurses, police officers, fire fighters (that double with EMT)..military-those naval employees aboared the naval hospital....etc etc....