Super Contributor

Re: Instacart Workers Plan Strike On Monday

I have been using Insta cart for weeks and its been great.. I hate to think I would lose this service but I do understand ..Hoping it all works out

Honored Contributor

I feel badly for all people right now who are working through this.  They are all basically at risk.  Making it even worse if you are not even given the most basic supplies to keep yourself as safe as possible.  And if you are not paid a decent wage, that's really bad.  I have no idea what Instacart workers make or others who deliver food.  I keep hearing that a lot of places are giving bonuses and increasing hourly wages right now and all of these people should also!  

I have never used food delivery services before but know that this is a very valuable and needed service, not just now, but all the time.  I just placed my first order before this happened and don't know if I will get it now or not.  

I hope they can get this worked out and that a strike will not be necessary or will be short-lived, as they need to be treated fairly, and many people depend on them! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Can the act The President enacted today be used to force them back to work? 

The Defense Production Act?  I don't think so...

Honored Contributor

I used it last week,and have a order in, i sure hope this gets cleared up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I do not use Instacart but I have used Amazon Fresh and Amazon Whole Foods.  The suggested tip is $5 but you can leave more.

Since I can track when my delivery is around the corner, I leave an extra $5 in an envelope for the delivery person-a little cash in his/her pocket.

While these workers are doing a very important job, we need to keep in mind that not everyone has a credit card, not everyone can pay off a credit card in full, and not everyone can afford a $20 tip.

I feel for these workers but I also feel for those who cannot afford fees and tips; I feel for those who have to go out to find food and supplies which are often not available.

Extra trips increase the chance of becoming ill or spreading the virus to otherwise healthy people.

We need to remember that regardless of being able to get out to shop or being able to pay for home delivery-there are still people being left behind in both situations.

It isn't selfish; it's personal economics.  Instacart certainly should step up and provide some safety for their workers; but it shouldn't be out of the wallets of those struggling to get a few food items.  Forget the toilet paper.

I know Whole Foods raised pay an extra $2/hr for full and part time employees in store.

We need delivery services but we also need to be aware that we are supposed to shelter in place so saying those who are able to get out should do so is only possibly causing more infections.

Either we shelter in place or we go out and shop multiple trips trying to get what we need.

There is no easy answer to this situation.

I fear for those who cannot get out and for those who cannot afford extra $$ for deliveries.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I just started using them.  I have had two deliveries from Costco and two from a local market and I have another scheduled for Wed.  There are so many people out of work right now it seems like they are not going to have any problem getting replacement workers.  When this is over I will go back to going to the store because I enjoy it.  

Honored Contributor

@iwrite wrote:

wow!
good for them.

there is no law in the usa that can force people to work.
if there was, most people would not have been sent home.

duh!

legally, they are not employees.
gig workers fall into a different category from 'employees'.

yes, people with disabilities need groceries.
able bodied people can fend for themselves.

if it was 2000, how would people get groceries?
by that i mean, in 2000, there was no instacart, so what would you do?

if you think these people should go to work without the minuscule things that they are asking for, for protection, perhaps, you should apply for one of the 300,000 openings to get a real feel for what they are going through.

your life is no more valuable then theirs.
what the selfishness is going on?

@iwrite   This post is flawed in reasoning.

Are you saying if one is not disabled that the person should "fend for themselves"???  What about social distancing or do you feel that isn't important??

Not everyone has a car and public transportation is now sketchy in many places.

So by your reasoning if one is not disabled, one should "fend for themselves" and make multiple trips trying to find food, let alone house supplies. 

Now you have somebody exposed to contagion and/or spreading contagion to others.

Your suggestion for a $20 tip-many disabled, seniors, and people out of work can barely afford the standard $5, let alone $20.

Instacart certainly needs to provide better protection; but to limit online shopping to only one segment of our population is poor social economics.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

This is one of so very many situations...so many more moving forward...where there is really no right or wrong.  Everyone wants to feel, be safe...we all need essential services, services that are so important for so many.  

Honored Contributor

Web site must be busy ,keep chjecking on my order,and having trouble.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I am not disabled in anyway but I am in the age group that is supposed to stay home.  I decided I would just to have to pay more for groceries.  A big benefit I found was everything I ordered came.  Eggs, meat, peanut butter, bread, bottled water and of course toilet paper.  I had double ordered it all from Costco and from a local market.  I feel really sorry for the workers in my local market dealing with all the shoppers everyday not knowing if they are infected or not.  I have an order of produce scheduled for Wed so I will wait and see, even if it does not come I am ahead of the game.