Honored Contributor

Re: Inspiring Act of Kindness In These Times

These are the kind of stories I like to hear.  Helping people and not hiding in your home and have your servants wait on you hand and foot.  It's about real people help others and that is what makes this country so good. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Its so refreshing to read these stories about acts of kindness! Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I asked this before...what happened to 'social distancing'? Offering help to others means you come close to them and it makes no sense if we are suppose to limit contact with others. 

Yes I'm a little confused as well, I thought we are supposed to limit our contact at this time..I've seen various answers to how long this germ can live on a certain surface, some answers were just hours, some were up to 9 days.  What if this woman is carrying the virus and doesn't know it, and handed back the elderly woman's change to her...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am all for helping out people.  I feel that you sometimes need to remind the elderly of certains things....like buying in bulk so you are not sending people into drugstores and grocery stores at THEIR expense on a regular basis.  I know elderly people who do this.  They are often a bit more forgetful and don't have the ability to think things through like they used to.

For example..... my own dear mother (who is 90) will need something very important like her Thicken Up that she has to use in anything liquid.  She buys one little can at a time and is constantly running out of things very important to her health. One can lasts about one week!  Last week I ordered a case of it from Amazon...so that's one problem solved

Mom is a very thoughtful person but she gets things all mixed up and confused so we have had to take over and tell her how it's going to be.  She told me she didn't want to buy too far ahead because she might not live long enough to use it up and it would be a waste!!!!  You see.....she just doesn't get it.  Her reasoning abilities have diminished a lot just in this past year and I know a lot of elderly people who are like this.

I admire the woman helping these people out but I think she needed to let them know they could order their groceries.

Mom finally got it when I told her I can't keep sending DH to the drugstore and store every couple of days because she won't stock up.  It hurt my feelings to get tough with her....especially because she is so good and normally a thoughtful person.  So many times now, we have to overide her and it hurts to do it but it is for everyone's welfare. Just something to think about when it comes to the elderly.  They are finding now that there are a  fair amount of people under 50 getting this virus....even young pregnant women so the elderly need to be understanding, too.... or at least try to make them understand....if you can...and do it as gently as you can.

Honored Contributor

such a good story. she was lucky to find the right person, which is why she waited that long. some horrible people would have kept the money and left!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

This was extremely naive of this elderly couple to hand someone $100.00. Lucky for them she was an honest and generous woman.

Dumb dumb DUMB on their part. Surely  they know a human being personally to help them

@LizzieInSRQ  @Daisy Sunflower 

Some people dont anyone, especially the elderly--- it could be that most of their relatives/friends have passed away or  people they know live out of state...most people dont even know their neighbors these days....and if they are in their 80's perhaps their health doesnt permit them to get out and socialize and get to know people....

@Spurt 

I just wanted to add to your thoughts that maybe they live in a retirement community like my MIL (not assisted living), where all of her neighbors are just as elderly and frail as she is.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I asked this before...what happened to 'social distancing'? Offering help to others means you come close to them and it makes no sense if we are suppose to limit contact with others. 

Not necessarily, the money and shopping list could be put in an envelope in the mailbox of under a door mat.

The buyer could handle the money/list with surgical gloves (which they should be wearing handling groceries in a store anyway), return with the groceries, put them by the front door and ring the doorbell, leave.

No person to person contact, where there's a will.....there's a way

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.