Honored Contributor

Inside Edition today's show 10-20

Sure glad I'm having security system installed soon after watching today's inside edition show. Young girl home alone with 2 yr old baby and this drugged out maniac used some firewood that was left on the frontporch to break out a window and broke in.

Mine will be hooked up to security company and they will dispatch police.   all these drugged out maniacs running loose not knowing which end is up and breaking into houses left and right. My alarm will be set to 'armed'.

Respected Contributor

Re: Inside Edition today's show 10-20

That's all fine and well calling the police but unfortunately you need to find out the average response to one of these calls.

ULTA is getting hit a lot, breaking the large glass windows and doors, they get in, clear the perfumes and they are out even before the police get there.

Security systems are nice but you need to protect yourself and think beyond the alarm, that may only deter them.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Sure glad I'm having security system installed soon after watching today's inside edition show. Young girl home alone with 2 yr old baby and this drugged out maniac used some firewood that was left on the frontporch to break out a window and broke in.

Mine will be hooked up to security company and they will dispatch police.   all these drugged out maniacs running loose not knowing which end is up and breaking into houses left and right. My alarm will be set to 'armed'.

@SharkE  Has this kind of thing-- the drugged out maniacs running loose and breaking into homes -- been happening in your neighborhood?

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE It is a good thing you are having an alarm system installed.  Will it have cameras?  If not, you may want to have a RING or something similar installed, too.

If I lived alone, I would also consider getting a gun and learning how to use it. Woman WinkWoman Frustrated 

Take care~ Heart

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

That's all fine and well calling the police but unfortunately you need to find out the average response to one of these calls.

ULTA is getting hit a lot, breaking the large glass windows and doors, they get in, clear the perfumes and they are out even before the police get there.

Security systems are nice but you need to protect yourself and think beyond the alarm, that may only deter them.

@Just Bling  Ours come right away. We called about a strange car going into two houses driveways across the street from us. They were away for the winter. Police went thru front and back yards with flashlights and poked around. Of course we had no descriptions of the cars!

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling  When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Honored Contributor

I'll have sensors within the main living area monitoring anything that is moving and it will let off a screech that will wake the dead. I sleep behind deadbolted door, so, I won't be getting out to investigate.  The security company will call me if I don't turn off the alarm within so many seconds or minutes. I'll give them a secret code so they will know it's me and if I don't answer they will just call the cops.

sensors on windows, after you set the system to 'armed' if the door is opened and it breaks connection with the other sensor on the door jamb it will trip the alarm.

I'm even having sensors put on the garage doors.

I don't live in bad area, but, having peace of mind is worth the money and monthly charge I'll be shelling out. Haven't learned the ins and outs yet and it will take time to get used to it, but, forewarned is forearmed.

LOL

somehow it has to be set up thru a  computer or Iphone. Just got a Tracfone. Man, just showed me the basics yesterday, but, we will go thru the whole deal when he comes out to set up.

Sister won't let me have a gun. LOL she said I would kill self or somebody just trying to tell me house is on fire or fire threat or something

Texans, are all loaded to the gills with guns, but, I'm from Ind. LOL Just rig the house for any threat, intrusion, movement and let somebody else handle   it.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   With your concern for security, I'm surprised you haven't consider having a dog.  Not only do they let you know as soon as a stranger sets foot in the neighborhood, but they are wonderful companions when you live alone.  It's like having a friend live with you. 

I have some of my most intelligent conversations with my dogs, and believe me, nobody will ever sneak up on me.  Who's going to protect you during the 15 or so minutes it takes the cops to get to your rural location?  Sometimes all it takes is a barking dog to deter those with evil intentions. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SharkE @Your homeowners insurance will probably give you a discount if you have a monitored alarm system.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I wondered about that guess I'd better email them.

No, don't want no dog to take care of and tear up the  house when I'm gone, have to walk and take them out in the bad weather, and they shed hair all over the place, underfoot. Had one in the house when I was young, but, just more work.  Right now is the first time,ever , I've had  time for myself I can do, eat, go, have what I want when I want. I just don't want to be  on alert for every little sound all thru the night and I'll feel more secure with  the house on alert.

Put the system  while I'm home  on 'alarm stay' that means your home, but, the house is on standby , the sensor is off in front room. Then , you have 'disable' when you don't want it  on , period. Then, it means business when it's on 'alarm/away' suppose to  be when  your away on  vacation, etc.  I got to ask the man wouldn't you want it on 'alarm/away at nightime ? He said if you walk past the beam it will get you, yeah, but, you make sure your in the bedroom for the night and let the living room  sensor do it's job. I have adjoining bath to the master bedroom, I can take  in my cellphone and laptop and have Yenti full of water and shouldn't need to get out of my lair till morning. LOL  He acted like you keep it on 'alarm/stay' all the time, but, I want the sensor on at night.

I must've misunderstood him I'll get it straightened out when my turn comes there's  8 folks ahead of me. LOL  He did tell me to not to try to go out to the car garage while it's in 'alarm stay' because it will trip something and  I'll have to run to the monitor and stop the countdown.

LOL sounds like a Bond movie. LOL