Honored Contributor
On 9/15/2014 betteb said:
On 9/15/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/15/2014 Marp2 said:

Interesting that so many say it is both innate and learned. Does that mean you think it is innate but needs to be nurtured or something else?

Re: what I said, I didn't mean it could be both for the same person.

Some people are born without the ability to understand the feelings of others, or to feel anything for other people. Ted Bundy, psychopath. And we're learning there are more sociopaths than we ever thought.

IMO, that's partly because more sociopaths are being nurtured. In an effort to nurture self esteem in our children some have gone too far and raised children who think the world revolves around them and that others are inconsequential. JMO

As to the question, I think most everyone that has posted is correct. It comes from both nature and nurture on a case by case basis.

But we're finding out that there are A LOT of business CEOs who are sociopaths, and they're not the age I think you're talking about.

Also, I was surprised to find research done on US Presidents who are thought to have been sociopaths or even having psychopathic tendencies. There's a scale used for that.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I think it can be both..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor
Excellent question! I think that it is situational/environmentally, and personality/biologically specific.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G