Esteemed Contributor

Re: Initial investagation report on the 14 yo who fell from the ride in Florida

@occasionalrain wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

According to what I read, may or may not be accurate, the belt wouldn't go aground him and the adjusted it as he was in the seat. Not knowing what training the attendant received,  he may have been unaware of the danger.

You're thinking adult, yes?  Now, imagine all those people on line or on the ride waiting until they fixed and or added leather/material to a harness to accommodate this larger kid.  Do you think it was done, right then and there?  Hey....just say'n.  That would be in clear "view" of misconduct and using the product/ride in a way that's not intended.  Of course that might have happened.  I'll give you that.  Some people are just that stupid.  I was trying to give the folks at the Florida amusement park the benefit of the doubt.  They COULD be that stupid to fix it in front of all to see @occasionalrain 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain Of course a 14 year old would not be aware of any danger.  Their brains aren't mature enough until they reach 25.  Your attempt to victim blame is amazing.  I won't play along though. 

I'm rational person and gave your argument some consideration, but thought better of it.  Nah.....

Honored Contributor

I'm not blaming the victim. I'm blaming the training of the person who adjusted the strap. I can't think he realized the danger in what he did. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is a tragedy when a young man is killed on a ride. I read the young man knew that he was not strapped in properly because he made a comment to his friend about not making it. When a ride posts a weight limit and he was 53 pounds over the limit, he shouldn't have got on the ride. I know he was 14 years old but he could still read. The operator should have denied him access. I think both are at fault. Poor choices caused the death. You can see by the pictures, he was not fitting in the seat. 

My sympathy goes out to the family for their loss. Maybe taking accountability for our actions is the responsible answer. 

Regular Contributor

I've read there wasn't a posted weight limit on the ride.

Honored Contributor

@elated 

He was over six foot tall and reported to weigh 360 pounds. The limit was 250, so 110 over the limit. Just the picture of him in the seat should have made it obvious that he was too big and it was unsafe. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovethgedress wrote:

I've read there wasn't a posted weight limit on the ride.

Thanks for that tidbit of information @lovethgedress 

Honored Contributor

I doubt anyone would know if the seat was being adjusted at the time Tyre was on this ride.

Does anyone really pay attention to the workers?

This tragedy will not be resolved anytime soon; all that matters right now is that Tyre is gone and his loved ones mourn.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I doubt anyone would know if the seat was being adjusted at the time Tyre was on this ride.

Does anyone really pay attention to the workers?

This tragedy will not be resolved anytime soon; all that matters right now is that Tyre is gone and his loved ones mourn.

@Cakers3 You have a point, but it's not about paying attention to the workers adjusting the ride so much as the time they are waiting to board the ride.  Both scenarios together in one instance, would have "me" consider not riding it.  Unless their were some magical powers involved, they couldn't readjust that harness to fit the young man that fast w/o anyone noticing either way.

Trusted Contributor

If there are height and weight limits then it seems each rider should know if they are within the limits and not attempt to ride if they aren't. If he had an uncle or parent with him and knew he was too heavy for the ride, why would they not discourage or prevent him from riding? Such a sad story.