Honored Contributor

Re: Inherited china and crystal question

very important to remember that getting something appraised and selling something are two very different scenarios.

something can be appraised at a high price (for general interest or insurance purposes) but will more than likely NOT sell for that price, if it sells at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

very important to remember that getting something appraised and selling something are two very different scenarios.

something can be appraised at a high price (for general interest or insurance purposes) but will more than likely NOT sell for that price, if it sells at all.

@sunshine45   Exactly. That’s why it’s important to tell the appraiser what you are really looking for.

Frequent Contributor

@gidgetgh That's very pretty and a bit similar to what I have.

Honored Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

@gidgetgh That's very pretty and a bit similar to what I have.

@jazzed - I googled the pattern name, Royal Antoinette by Royal Crown Derby and used the photo from Replacements.  I wonder if it was one of my plates, LOL.

While I didn't want the china, when I saw the picture of it I smiled in remembrance.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

When this thread came up, and I recommended replacements I got to thinking about all my fiestware stored away.  I looked up my Fiesta red vintage coffee pot. 499.00!  I imagine they would buy it for about 250.  That is still 200 more than I paid for it.  The Shoekitty is brainstorming selling off my old fiestaware.  Lol

Honored Contributor

I had thousands of dollars in coins.  I found a well reviewed coin collector store in my town and he was very fair in his pricing.

I found 3 reputable websites and looked up every single coin, found the resell value and took the average between the 3 sites, many times they were almost the same price plus looked at any that may have rare issues.

I had a few that had real value (like over $100) and some that were worth much more than face value and then a ton that were either worth face value or the value of the silver. 

What I didn't know was that I had several rolls of uncirculated silver Kennedy and silver dimes.  I had no idea they were silver or uncirculated.  This guy could have ripped me off, but he was very fair.

It was a lot of work to get that done and I should have charged my family a 10% fee ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@jazzed, someone mentioned FaceBook earlier. There is a page called Marketplace where people sell everything. They will send you a message if they are interested. Make sure you mention ¨Pick UP Only¨ because if you have to mail it, it would cost too much.

Pick up should be at a local establishment where people usually are and make sure that you have company.

Take a few pictures of each item. Even if you don´t use Facebook Marketplace, I´m sure there is something local where you can list it.

SOMEONE WAS ROBBED IN EDMOND OK AT A BUSY STARBUCKS.

POLICE SAID COME TO THE POLICE STATION TO DO A DEAL LIKE THIS.  THEY WILL LET YOU IN THE LOBBY, MIGHT CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL STATION.

Yes, I am shouting! 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@VaBelle35 

Agree.......I have entertained large groups, and none of the "good dishes, silver and crystal" that I have owned over the years and in past lives, were used for those occasions.  Those all eventually got sold, donated or sent to auction when we did our major downsizing to move to a simpler lifestyle.

I do use good-quality 18/10 stainless steel flatware and real glass drinkware, but all the china, crystal and silver doesn't cut it  for me when having guests today.  Nor am I unduly impressed when others use it on simple guests such as myself.

@novamc1 My good dishes and china are for everyone.  Why not?  

Honored Contributor

All this sounds like so much work & time for

a set of dishes & silverware.

Unless you're making serious 'bank' on this,

just not worth the time/effort.

Donate & take the tax deduction.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

I have no desire to use the "good stuff" because it's not dishwasher safe.

Waterford crystal, sterling silver,  and anything with real gold trim needs special care. 

I have enough to do without taking care of that.

My Waterford drinkware was also very heavy and a little cumbersome to use after a certain age of the user.

And when I was planning a move to a downsized existence, our movers charged by the pounds of goods to be  shipped.  I did everything I could to bring that number down when moving from a big house to a smaller one.  Just didn't put all that much value on even the nicer or potentially more valuable items that I owned.