Re: Inherited china and crystal question

New married couples want Pottery Barn. LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

UI have a beautiful set of china that belonged to my mother and another set from my great aunt. I found out they both have lead in them as do most old china sets. I still love beautiful dishes. I think it is a generational thing also. These vintage sets of china remind me of Sunday dinners with my grandmother, aunts, etc.when I was growing up. Today, many extended families almost never sit down for a big dinner together...today’s kids won’t have that lovely memory when they are older....for many, it is takeout or going through the drive-thru. Some families are so busy they are almost never all at home at the same time to eat dinner together. My own kids, who are grown and have families of their own, didn’t even “ register” for nice dishes when they got married. They all have stoneware (too heavy for me) from Pottery Barn. 

Do you watch Blue Bloods? The end of each episode is at the Sunday family dinner table....lovely.

Honored Contributor

I have my own china & crystal plus some crystal pieces and two sets of sterling silver that my mother gave me.

I have no idea what I'll do with it since I'm pretty sure that my dd doen't want any of it either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just take to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Someone will walk in there, see your donation..

and walk out with a big smile.  
And you made that happen. 

Just let it go.

You will be rewarded tenfold. 

ETA:

Like someone mentioned upthread, the donation facility might not take them.  If there IS a time where dishes would be welcomed....it's NOW

before the holidays. I would immediately take them in.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

JMO, if you have no use for them then sell them at a yard sale for whatever it is you can get for them.  There really is no point in holding out to see if you can get a better price.

If they don't sell and no one wants them then a trip to Goodwill would be my next move.

@jazzed  I agree with @CelticCrafter .  They didn’t cost you anything. Anything you get for them will be a bonus. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

It is sad, but we live in a very materialistic society where everyone wants new and they want it now. I still think that someday many of the items you are talking about here will be back in vogue and worth a fortune. 

@RetRN   I'm hoping that you're right.  Just as all of these beautiful vintage pieces have gone out of vogue, perhaps so many years down the road they will be in high demand again...one can only hope but it's frustrating when you need to get rid of them now.

Respected Contributor

seems like a good opportunity for collectors. what is out now - may be in in the future. in the meantime you can appreciate the beauty of fine china and sterling. 

Honored Contributor

Do people "entertain" that much anymore?  I always laugh when I watch any HGTV show as everyone "loves to entertain."  I think people love the idea of entertaining, but the reality is, if you have a long commute and young kids, you are not going to do that much entertaining.  Or be a "one and done" entertainer.

I have one friend who throws an outdoor party every year in her back yard for everyone she's ever come in contact with.  

Other than that, I never hear of people entertaining large groups.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 

Agree.......I have entertained large groups, and none of the "good dishes, silver and crystal" that I have owned over the years and in past lives, were used for those occasions.  Those all eventually got sold, donated or sent to auction when we did our major downsizing to move to a simpler lifestyle.

I do use good-quality 18/10 stainless steel flatware and real glass drinkware, but all the china, crystal and silver doesn't cut it  for me when having guests today.  Nor am I unduly impressed when others use it on simple guests such as myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

Does anyone have recent experience to share on how you went about pricing and selling inherited family fine china and crystal? I have complete service in excellent condition, probably 50 years old. Very pretty high quality pieces, but I have no use for them, and it's time to let go.

Replacements, Ltd. and eBay are not options. The research I've done thus far tells me that the market is flooded with vintage, and is not sought after by younger people. 

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

@jazzed  .. when my Mom passed away I had an Estate Sale.  The woman who handled the sale did the research and determined the prices.   She got a percentage of the items that sold.  The sale went quite well.