Honored Contributor

Re: Information About Sepsis

I wonder if antibiotic-resistant bacteria affect the mortality rate?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

Thanks @Noel7

It makes me so sad to think about how much he suffered as his organs were shutting down. 6 long painful weeks in ICU trying to save him. He didn't want to die and fought so hard on dialysis and other drastic measures were done to save him. The doctors wanted us to let him go but he was conscious the whole time and wanted to keep fighting.Woman Sad

Same thing happened to my Dad.  He had a perforated colon and internal bleeding.  Six long weeks of suffering.

Respected Contributor

My neighbor died quickly from a bladder infection.  He was unaware that he was a MRSA carrier, and the infection turned septic and attacked his heart.  He died within 48 hrs of being admitted to the hospital.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

This is why I asked a few months ago if anyone had been tested for the Staph Superantigen?

i think we all should be aware of this phenomena, which is being studied and researched more now. It is suspected as a potential causative agent for so many disease states: sinus/Rosacea/lupus/ulcers.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

Obviously the report is correct in saying sepsis is more common than most people know.

It is disheartening that so many here have lost loved ones to it.

I'm glad the information is coming out, we need to be on the lookout when someone is ill, the article gives some clues on what to look for.

Thank you for posting this information, @Noel7.  My Mom had very early stage breast cancer and at the advice of her oncologist, had a port installed for chemo.  She developed a terrible infection at the port site, became septic, and died.  So sad to read of all the losses here due to septicemia.

ETA - she was 62.

Respected Contributor

I have a real phobia with medical issues, doctors and medical facilities.  

This phobia almost turned deadly for me this past November.

I was so "out of it" with infection and fever (and hid it from my husband, I am a pretty good actress)- but there was a point that I had to drag myself (didn't tell anyone) to the doctor-- who immediately sent me to the ER.  

I had to have emergency surgery asap to avoid sepsis, and then another surgery 2 weeks later.  

It was horrible.  But I am here, I am lucky.

Respected Contributor

My father woke extremely disoriented and sent via ambulance to the hospital.  He'd been battling chronic kidney disease to begin with but while in hospital developed sepsis which eventually took his kidneys and not long thereafter his life.

I was in treatment for cancer for about 1.5 years.  When my immune system was compromised from the chemo, my oncologist drilled it into my head to constantly wash my hands, don't eat a salad from a salad bar if out and if I wanted one to buy and thoroughly wash all lettuces and veggies carefully at home, eat cooked foods, and avoid small children (bc kids in school quickly spread every kind of communicable thing possible.)  He told me over and over that if I'm very careful while in treatment I'll come through things  ok, however; if I left my defenses drop, sepsis could easily kill me much faster than the cancer ever would.  So yeah, this has been on my radar for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@Marianne1 wrote:

I have a real phobia with medical issues, doctors and medical facilities.  

This phobia almost turned deadly for me this past November.

I was so "out of it" with infection and fever (and hid it from my husband, I am a pretty good actress)- but there was a point that I had to drag myself (didn't tell anyone) to the doctor-- who immediately sent me to the ER.  

I had to have emergency surgery asap to avoid sepsis, and then another surgery 2 weeks later.  

It was horrible.  But I am here, I am lucky.

@Marianne1 OMG how terrifying!!  Thank God you are ok, you are very lucky.

Respected Contributor

I read of a father helping with the garbage after a class park outing.  Some fluid from the can leaked on his foot.  The next morning he had full blown sepsis and only hospitalization saved his life.  These super germs enter through an imperceptible break in the skin.  Many years ago, in this same popular park, my daughter acquired blood poisoning, with the telltale line progressing up her arm.  Antibiotics reversed this.  But this was before mersa and these antibiotic resistant superbugs.

Honored Contributor

I posted in the Patty Duke thread that because I handle a lot of probate cases at work, I get death certificates across my desk constantly and it's getting more and more common to see sepsis listed as the cause of death.

I know of someone who developed sepsis due to an untreated UTI.  She was in her early 50's and nearly died.  Doctors had told the family to be prepared because she wasn't going to make it but somehow, she pulled through.