Respected Contributor

Info on Fiat Chrysler buyback

[ Edited ]

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday it imposed the largest vehicle buyback program in its history on Fiat Chrysler Automobiles because the automaker failed to come up with an adequate remedy to fix nearly 200,000 pickup trucks and SUVs it recalled in 2013.

Buybacks are for vehicles that have not been fixed. (See http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/27/news/companies/fiat-chrysler-order-to-buyback/)

"On Sunday, regulators said Fiat Chrysler mishandled 23 recalls involving 11 million vehicles and would pay $105 million as a result.

Some of that money will go to offering buybacks, trade-in incentives or even cash to some drivers affected by the recalls. The company agreed to make all of these deals available in the next few weeks.

Here's a breakdown of what vehicles are eligible:

Who is eligible for a buyback

Which cars: If you drive one of several Ram pickup models, or a 2009 Dodge Durango, a 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota or a 2009 Chrysler Aspen, your car qualifies for a buyback if it hasn't been fixed yet. Eligible Ram pickups include the 1500 from model years 2008-2009 and the 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 from model years 2008-2012. Chrysler said that there are less than 200,000 of these vehicles on the roads.

The problem: Those models were recalled two years ago for steering issues or loose rear axles. Either problem could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. To make matters worse, Chrysler didn't make enough replacement parts or failed to provide "effective" parts after the initial recall, said Gordon Trowbridge, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Other Ram pickups have also been recalled for steering issues, but Trowbridge said that many more of those vehicles were fixed, so they're not included in this program.
What to do: Whether you bought your vehicle new or used, bring it into a dealer. They're required to buy the car back from you at "fair market value," and to throw in a 10% premium. You can walk away with the all that money in cash, or use the money toward purchasing a new vehicle.

"Fair market value" is the original sticker price of the vehicle minus depreciation. The dealer will negotiate that value with you when you take it in. Check Kelly Blue Book or another used-car value benchmark to see what yours is potentially worth.

Who is eligible for a trade-in bonus

Which cars: If you have a 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and you haven't fixed the fuel tank problem it was recalled for, Fiat Chrysler is required to let you trade in your vehicle and give you a $1,000 credit.

The problem: These Jeeps were recalled back in 2013 for fuel tanks that can leak after a rear-end collision. That issue has been linked to more than 75 deaths.

What to do: Take your SUV to a dealer and trade your Grand Cherokee in for a new car. The trade-in price will again be for "fair market value," and the $1,000 can only be used toward purchasing another Fiat Chrysler vehicle or dealer parts and services.

Other option: If you'd rather keep your Grand Cherokee, Fiat Chrysler must give you a $100 gift card (that you can use anywhere) when you take your SUV in to be fixed.

Who is eligible for a $100 gift card

Which cars: You can also get a $100 gift card for bringing in a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee or a 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty for a fix.

The problem: Those vehicles also had concerns about faulty fuel tanks and were involved in recalls or "safety campaigns" by Fiat Chrysler.

What to do: Take your SUV to a dealer, have your vehicle fixed or inspected, and get a $100 gift card that you can spend anywhere."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: Info on Fiat Chrysler buyback

I'm surprised the issue wasn't with the Fiats.  The brand always had a bad rep.

My truck would have qualified from what I'm reading in your link but we sold it years ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I remember Fiats could always be found at the side of the road with their hoods up. I'm not sure about the new Fiats. They're cute but so small. I dont think I would feel very safe in one. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I'm in a 55-plus community and the Fiats are popular with many women.  They traded in the vw bugs with the little flower vase and got the FiatSmiley Happy

Were you affected by the recall?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They must look cute driving around in those sporty Fiats. 

My SO had a Jeep but got rid of it. I was curious  because it's on the recall list but I don't think he would have gotten very much in the buyback/trade in. It wasn't in very good shape. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I got a 2005 - did get a recall notice stating basically don't call us, we'll call you - no parts available thing - got it in my pending file - but the 05 Grand Cherokees are not listed... I'm confusedRobot Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I got a 2005 - did get a recall notice stating basically don't call us, we'll call you - no parts available thing - got it in my pending file - but the 05 Grand Cherokees are not listed... I'm confusedRobot Frustrated

That's weird. I found this. I don't know if it will do you any good though. This seems to have been a problem other than the reason for the buyback. Maybe call their HQ. It looks like it could be a serious problem. 

http://time.com/3020465/ignition-switch-chrysler-recalls/

"...The recall will affect a still-undetermined number of model year 2006-2007 Jeep Commanders and 2005-2007 Jeep Grand Cherokees. In vehicles affected by the problem, contact with a driver’s knee or other outside force can move the ignition switch from on to off, causing the engine to stall and cutting power brakes and power steering.

The company said its investigation is ongoing but that around 792,000 vehicles could have faulty switches, including 659,900 in the U.S. and others in Mexico, Canada, and elsewhere. Newer models have been redesigned are unaffected, the company said."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

That's weird. I found this. I don't know if it will do you any good though. This seems to have been a problem other than the reason for the buyback. Maybe call their HQ. It looks like it could be a serious problem. 

http://time.com/3020465/ignition-switch-chrysler-recalls/

"...The recall will affect a still-undetermined number of model year 2006-2007 Jeep Commanders and 2005-2007 Jeep Grand Cherokees. In vehicles affected by the problem, contact with a driver’s knee or other outside force can move the ignition switch from on to off, causing the engine to stall and cutting power brakes and power steering.

The company said its investigation is ongoing but that around 792,000 vehicles could have faulty switches, including 659,900 in the U.S. and others in Mexico, Canada, and elsewhere. Newer models have been redesigned are unaffected, the company said."

That's it!  I'm gonna go down to me "jeep" dealer - no longer 'cause Chrysler bought out Jeep and wouldn't let dealers sell just jeeps, but all Chrysler products.  However they still service jeeps, but for recalls have to go to "authorized" dealer.  Don't trust the only authorixed dealer, but will find out scoop at me jeep dealer - small family business and been doing business with them for soooo long - they're like family!

Honored Contributor

I have a 2014 Fiat and LOVE it!!  No problems at all. Leather seats, navagater, Beats sound system, 40MPG and it hauls on the freeway! There might have been an airbag issue with the 2012.  A certain brand airbag. I think in the old days Fiats had a bad reputaion .  FIAT stood for Fix-It-Again-Tom (Tom being the mechanic, LOL!

The Fiats now are rated highly, and in 2014 were the most popular small car.  I also have a huge Suburban.  Best of both worldsIMO.

I am 68 and wouldn't take a cross country trip in one, LOL!

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I have a 2014 Fiat and LOVE it!!  No problems at all. Leather seats, navagater, Beats sound system, 40MPG and it hauls on the freeway! There might have been an airbag issue with the 2012.  A certain brand airbag. I think in the old days Fiats had a bad reputaion .  FIAT stood for Fix-It-Again-Tom (Tom being the mechanic, LOL!

The Fiats now are rated highly, and in 2014 were the most popular small car.  I also have a huge Suburban.  Best of both worldsIMO.

I am 68 and wouldn't take a cross country trip in one, LOL!

I never heard the Fix It Again Tom! Funny Smiley Very Happy Glad to hear you like yours. Sounds like a fun drive.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____