Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Indianapolis 500 this weekend!

For the first time in over 40 years, the blackout in Indiana has been lifted and Hoosiers can watch the Indy 500 on their television!  I'm so excited and will be parked in front of my tv Sunday watching the greatest spectacle on earth!  I'll be rooting for TK (Tony Kanan) who is just the sweetest, nicest person in the world.  I wish all the drivers a very safe race - "Gentlemen, start your engines!"  GO TK!  I will miss is Jim Nabors singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" this year though.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Indianapolis 500 this weekend!

DH was saying this is the 100th anniversary and it was a sellout, over 300,00 fans. It should be a very fun and noisy weekend.  The races always seem to have a good turnout. Don,'t forget to turn the volume UP when they call the start. That will really start your engine.   Enjoy!!!

If there is a NASAR race on, that is where our TV is set. If the starts are at different times, will be joining you at the 500!!!!! TedEbear

Respected Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

DH was saying this is the 100th anniversary and it was a sellout, over 300,00 fans. It should be a very fun and noisy weekend.  The races always seem to have a good turnout. Don,'t forget to turn the volume UP when they call the start. That will really start your engine.   Enjoy!!!

If there is a NASAR race on, that is where our TV is set. If the starts are at different times, will be joining you at the 500!!!!! TedEbear

@tedEbear - yes!  the 100th running - they've had some very interesting stories on this past month of the history of the racetrack. 

Honored Contributor

They black out the Indy 500 in Indiana?  Why?  I heard you had to wait for someone to die to get tickets.  

I was a huge fan back in the day.  Not sure where Marco has ended up these days but I'm still waiting for another Andretti in the winner's circle in my lifetime.  Wasn't on the earth yet for the first one.  Although Tony is a nice guy.  Does he still have his monkeys?  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tedEbear wrote:

Coca-Cola 600 from Charlotte is on FOX Sunday night.  Go Ryan Newman! 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

They black out the Indy 500 in Indiana?  Why?  I heard you had to wait for someone to die to get tickets.  

I was a huge fan back in the day.  Not sure where Marco has ended up these days but I'm still waiting for another Andretti in the winner's circle in my lifetime.  Wasn't on the earth yet for the first one.  Although Tony is a nice guy.  Does he still have his monkeys?  Smiley Wink

@Laura14 - yes, isn't that crazy - we are the only state -that doesn't get to watch it live - we usually can't watch it until they replay it at 7:00 pm -by that time you know who wins.  Yes, I would love another Andretti to win too - Marco is an excellent driver.  Mario gives rides in a two-seater around the track for a price (I think it's over $1,000 or more).  I would sure love to do that some day - I have always loved him so much.  And AJ Foyt still owns cars and is always at the track.  He was always such a pistol when he was racing.  Don't know if TK still has monkies. 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 - to answer your question properly, I believe it is because the race isn't sold out every year, but it being the 100th running - it sold out early.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  A long time ago ,we worked the track at off road racing and ran into the Andrettis,  we were there for the fun, they weren't.  Other racers were a lot friendlier!!   I can't get rid of this ampersand--------tedEbear@

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 - to answer your question properly, I believe it is because the race isn't sold out every year, but it being the 100th running - it sold out early.

@hoosieroriginal  I had no idea.  Someone told me once that you had to wait for people to die to get an Indy 500 race day ticket.  

@tedEbear  The only Andretti I ever met was John who is the nicest man on the planet.  I met him when he was doing the Nascar circuit and I lived in Charlotte.  Even my grandmother was impressed and said the man was raised right.  LOL

Respected Contributor

My family and I are big Indy Car fans and will be watching on Sunday.  Hope it's a safe race and they have good weather.